1961 neutral safety switch question

I've got a 61 Biscayne column shift auto, which I'm converting to a 4 speed manual, floor shifter. Currently, my neutral safety switch is located on the column with two purple wires going to it, and no reverse/back up wiring

I can either leave the shift tube position in park, or maybe jumper the purple wires, and the car will start with the new trans set up, but then of course it will start in any gear clutch in or out.

Question is, did the 4 speed manual floor shift cars have some sort of a neutral safety switch or a clutch safety switch? If so, where is it located? It would be nice to hook it up factory-ish if possible. Thanks

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Manual, why would you need a neutral safety switch.

The thinking is that a manual driver has a brain, and that you should always put the car in neutral prior to hitting the starter, or for those who are adventurous you would put your foot on the clutch before you hit the starter.

Late model cars are made with all this other crap, I have a work Mitsubishi with an auto, it won't let you take it out of park without your foot on the brake. Oh for more simpler times.
That's right, there is a reason I like my old stuff, I am a driver not a passenger.

Back to your question, bridge the terminal, no safety switch for a manual.

Manual, why would you need a neutral safety switch.

The thinking is that a manual driver has a brain, and that you should always put the car in neutral prior to hitting the starter, or for those who are adventurous you would put your foot on the clutch before you hit the starter.

Late model cars are made with all this other crap, I have a work Mitsubishi with an auto, it won't let you take it out of park without your foot on the brake. Oh for more simpler times.
That's right, there is a reason I like my old stuff, I am a driver not a passenger.

Back to your question, bridge the terminal, no safety switch for a manual.

Pefect, make its easy for me then. I just wanted it to be like original. I know all about safety and today's over use of it. I can't even start my new Honda automatic without my foot on the brake, you can't reverse with the drivers door open on the 9-speed automatics and forget about trying to disable stability assists and TC fully.

What happened to the days when I drove my old man's GMC 3 ton dump truck on the starter in bull low after I ran it out of gas Or jumping in his old 72 4 speed diesel Benz and 'driving' it on the pull lever starter in first gear when I was way too young....safety you say, glad no family pets were killed in the process!

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Like Phil said. Get a 1961 Assembly Manual.:clap On sale Now, at Late Great Chevy. $ 18.95. :applCheapest price, I've ever seen.:)

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Clutch "safety" switches became standard in 1969.Federal law?I was taugt to always depress clutch pedal before turning key.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
With some ingenuity you could run the two purple wire's to a switch that is depressed or released by the couch petal . You would have to make the switch mount and the arm that contact's the switch.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My 4wd Toyota has a factory switch on the dash that overides the clutch pedal safety switch, in case you need to do that. Only one I have ever seen.

denson1932

Well Known Member
An engineer is taught to ask: what could go wrong...as we get older or in a hurry , accidents can happen. Also consider what could happen if a little tyke climbed in...you left the keys in and the tranny is in gear...so the logic of a clutch 'neutral' switch makes sense especially as hardly anyone nowadays sets the parking brake.