MYSTERY MOTOR & Z-11

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Pat,
Good to hear you grew up on 301 cu inch High winders. Probably we used the same 202 heads and green stripe cams!
Robert

Yep, ran the tach til it pegged at 7,000 then shifted if it sounded stressed!!

Tach was all we could afford, a hand me down!!

Yes, 202 heads, an occasional 097 cam or an Engle, or Isky. Many times it was what someone was finished with, what a bad lobe?? Just use a little emory cloth, smooth it up, cut a notch in the bottom of that rocker so when you tightened the rocker down it was now a few thousandths further and needed to clear the valve spring retainer!!

I had a friend that worked with me at one of the Chevy stores that had a 58 panel wagon that the interior looked like a grenade had gone off!!
Since I was in charge of the warranty parts locked bin, we would rummage through engines and get him a set of rings, some bearings, a few rockers, the balls and nuts. When the Chevy guy came around I got it all covered. My buddy ran the dog S_ _ t out of that car.
About every few weeks he would be back looking for more junk!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Pat...the year before you came to Delmer's West Texas drag racers reunion, Grady showed up with his car.....wanted to sell it to Delmer. I got to spend a lot of time talking to Grady. Just loved his stories. He had some of his Match Race Madness books for sale. Bought one and read it in 2 days!!!! Book sold out right after that. I have an autographed copy!!!!!

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Yeh, I know a lot about those stories!!!

One of the good ones was when a couple of "enemy's" were to match race the track owner would pay money for showing up, he needed a show for the crowd. He had been all over the radio for days.

Sometimes it could be a real hard fought race and sometimes one car might not be running just right. That happened several times with Dick Harrell, Phil Bonner, Bill Jarrett, and so many others. The slower of the 2 after getting beat the first race would load sand bags or tool boxes in the trunk, lower the air pressure in the tires and pull a gigantic wheel stand the last 2 races. Meanwhile the announcers would tell the crowd he "had loaded the car" for the run of his life!!!
Saw it all the time. You had to watch what was happening behind the car, not what the driver was doing or telling the crowd under the hood.
P.T. Barnum was right!!

wristpin

Well Known Member
Pat...the year before you came to Delmer's West Texas drag racers reunion, Grady showed up with his car.....wanted to sell it to Delmer. I got to spend a lot of time talking to Grady. Just loved his stories. He had some of his Match Race Madness books for sale. Bought one and read it in 2 days!!!! Book sold out right after that. I have an autographed copy!!!!!
Anybody have or know where i could buy a Match Race Madness Book?!!

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Here are the engines I took to the NCRS convention in San Antonio a couple of weeks sgo.

This is the first Production 265 engine built, serial number 0001XX.
It was Duntovs test engine, 195 hp 4bbl solid lifters, cast in Aug 54.

IMG_3819.JPG

This is one of the spare 283 aluminum block and heads cast for the CERV 1.

IMG_3820.JPG

The Z-11 engine for the Colbert car I'm STILL working on restoring!!!
IMG_3821.JPG

The Mystery Motor we have finished and will be putting on an engine run stand very soon.
IMG_3822.JPG

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Pat,

Thank you for keeping history alive about Chevrolet V8 engines
There is a lot of stuff here that most people haven't got a clue even happened

You may think this rude and if so i apologize for it but is it possible to get close ups of your documentation that you have for these engines?
I would love to put prints on the wall of my shop

Again sorry if this is not seen as acceptable

Steve