1960 Bel Air Junior Stocker Drag Car Survivor SKAI HIGH

Grape

Welcome aboard,
You are going to want some things to slip with this car ! most likely your slicks other wise you will need to start spending lots of money to up grade things like your rear end trans and others items
The Car looks Great :clap:clap
I know what you mean. I first saw nostalgia drag racing at Super Chevy Indy around 1988. There were a bunch of 409 cars. I think it was a blue 62 bubble top that sent the driveshaft up through the floorboard.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:appl:appl:applWelcome,and THANKS for doing this! I agree with Bsl409 [Brian] about reducing shock,fif for no other reason than the fact that the track surfaces and prep make so better traction .Even a "bad" today would have been better than what was to be had at a national event.Are planning on going through the engine?

awsumcars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Nice to have a new member with a COOL :winner O'l race car. Love it! I tried to stay original, but when your racing, there is no such thing. "Day 2" at a minimum, but you got it goin' SKAI HIGH :appl. Can't wait to meet you at Beech Bend in June, hint hint....:D

Grape

:appl:appl:applWelcome,and THANKS for doing this! I agree with Bsl409 [Brian] about reducing shock,fif for no other reason than the fact that the track surfaces and prep make so better traction .Even a "bad" today would have been better than what was to be had at a national event.Are planning on going through the engine?
I probably won't tear it down yet. I did replace a couple of bent push rods and changed out another intake pushrod where someone mistakenly installed a longer exhaust push rod. Adjusted the valves a few times before realizing the pro comp Chinese distributor someone put in there was not oiling the top end. It has almost 40 lbs of pressure at idle now with the Mallory compared to the 16-18 with the pro comp. I would advise against using one of those cheapo distributors that are apparently improperly machined at the oil groove.

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Saw one run in the video that James posted. Great to see a Red '60 on the track!!!!!!!!!!What ET's did you run??

Lonnie

Grape

I had Isky grind a cam and added new valve springs and roller rockers before the Meltdown. I left the vacuum secondaries hooked up to vacuum with the check valve and tank. I am not certain the secondaries were working. The car would only run high 15s. I tried a 4:11 but really should have gone with the 4:88 like the original owner used. It was still fun to get the car back on the track even if it was slow. Having a car with the original 50 year old distributor, coil and plug wires is pretty cool though.

Saturday, I let a friend drive & he broke an axle trying to launch. We installed new axles and had to take it easy at the starting line the rest of the weekend. I will checkout Super Chevy and see if there is any way I can make it.

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Back in the day with my 335 horse, 4:88's made no ET gain over 4:56's. Left the line at 5000, shifted at 5900, and usually went through the traps at 5900. Best ET was 13.97 at 101 mph. Your car looks great, wouldn't change a thing on the outside!!

Lonnie

Grape

I hope Super Chevy went well. Unfortunately I couldn't get there. I thought I had the Skai High machine ready to go for the Meltdown but it was only running off the center carb. The vacuum secondaries of the tri power were not staying open. Someone at the Meltdown suggested mounting a nitrous full throttle switch to the linkage with a light inside the car so I would know what was going on with the carbs. I did that and it worked like a charm. I had to unhook the return springs for the second and third carburetor and now they stay open as long as you don't let off the gas to shift. The car feels like a 13 second car now rather than high 15s. Maybe I can find out at the HAMB drags if I can make it there.

Attachments

• tripowerswitch1.JPG
    tripowerswitch1.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 2
  • tripowerswitch2.jpg
    tripowerswitch2.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 2

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I was so excited to see that baby launch! (slow to you maybe). I was 15 feet away when the axel let go and followed it back to the pits. You were still smiling and having fun though a little upset. Sunday brought a new day of racing with the fresh axle. PS. Found I no longer have the 1147's I thought I had. They were sold off with another engine block. I have a source that has 2 sets and I will go and check them out soon and see what I can get him down to for you.

Watch this! https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=JIr-5AezJUM