Old style oil filter

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
What's 12 degrees among friends. :D
You could do it over here Bob. 6degrees Celsius. 5inches of rain in 24 hours. Local rivers all burst banks. State of civil emergency and evacuations. Decided to stay inside and not go out to shop today.
Steve

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
We are not bad here but the whole south island has been hit with snow and rain with our main State highway number 1 closed in 9 different places.

We are 53M above sea level and about 10miles from the nearest river.

But it is wet

Steve

bobs409

Administrator
You could do it over here Bob. 6degrees Celsius. 5inches of rain in 24 hours. Local rivers all burst banks. State of civil emergency and evacuations. Decided to stay inside and not go out to shop today.
Steve

No thanks, I don't own scuba diving gear. :D

bobs409

Administrator
Keep the old style canister they really aren't any more trouble to change and yes they hold more oil.

Agreed but the one thing I do HATE about them is you spend time painting them nice, even applying a nice decal (originally they were silk screened) only to have them covered in oil when you remove it! Into the solvent tank with it. That part bugs me but what 'cha gonna do? :dunno2

ozzie7

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a link to the complete original setup?
I have 2 original sets that are supposedly complete.
I have one engine with the conversion to screw on but not the original pieces to know what was removed.
So I'm trying to determine if the 2 sets that I acquired are actually complete with bypass valve, etc.
Seems like I've read that the bypass valve can somehow be left out or something.

Or if there is a good listing of the parts and maybe the part numbers and pics.

Last edited:

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I appreciate all of the preservationists out there using the stock stuff, but I just know that every time I rolled around under a Chevy to change the oil and filter (starting over 50 years ago) these fine pieces were responsible for me making a giant mess and possibly creating a new oil leak. So I developed an attitude about them which I still have.

I agree that the spin-on kits are not that great, but some headers require more clearance than others. I have been using the flat adapter kit that takes a Ford filter with an anti-drainback valve. I prefer the Wix racing filters, but I have used K&N too. I replace the cheesy little pal nut that locks on the nipple with an aluminum nut from the AN fitting rack. I can't say that this is better, but it reduces the odds of me making an oil puddle. Just another opinion.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
You nailed It, Dave.:clap I also, replaced the cheap Pal Nut, along with the 2 chinkish 5/16 bolts, that hold everything to the block. I put a few drops of BLUE, threadlocker on them, and made sure, my Bellhousing bolt wasn't interfering.:clap The one thing, I'm not too sure of, on the Trans-Dapt adapter, is the Rubber O-Ring, that seals it to the block. I had one fail on me..:dohI replaced it, and everything, has been OK.:pray Years ago (many) . The last time, I changed the oil, using that canister, it was a Hot summer day, and I was lying on the ground, and I ended up, with oil in my hair and running down my arms. That was IT. I went to our local Speed Shop, and bought a Mr. Gasket adapter, and never regretted it.:appl

Last edited: