196? Opel with Chevy 327

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I did see a few of those in Germany but I can't remember the name. I'm sure it will come to me. I know I saw a couple in museums and it seems like the Chevy dealer in Cologne may have had one on display. It seems like the were about the size of a 64-64 Chevelle and had 5.4 l small blocks.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Wonder what kind of trans and rear end it had. Frontal styling is strongly suggestive of a '63, sides kind of resemble a '66, the roofline of the notchback is a lot like the 64-65 A bodies, the fast back is even more one off, were these things about the size of a Chevelle? We had lots of Opel Kadettes around, and the Opel GT is sort of a special interest car now.These must not have been imported here. Too bad,but we already had the Chevelle.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Go on Wikipedia and enter Opel Diplomat. The early coupe is very rare, only 347 were built. Don't know about that blue fastback. They had 230 and 250 inch inline sixes, or 283's and 327's, with a Powerglide. Bet something nasty would bolt in real nicely. A 12 bolt would round it out nicely.