61 409...ask the peeps!

El Rat

Well Known Member
Hi gents...
In the fall of 1961 I went to the old San Antonio dragstrip. I saw the most fabulous car ever a 409 61 Chevy. It was brand new and of course won whatever class it was in! Now that was 56 years ago so my memory, while still pretty good, is not dead nuts perfect! Here is my question, I recall that car having a "chicken bar" and aluminum rocker panels. Is that possible or likely?

Richard Martin

Well Known Member
"aluminum rocker panels"

The 1961 Chevrolet Impala Super Sport did not come standard with exterior bright metal rocker trim. It was not a factory option either.
It was a dealer installed accessory.

info from Chevrolet printed document....the 1961 GM/Chevrolet pdf website and the photos of
Tommy Nolen's white '61 SS in Super Chevy magazine before the car was restored.

Last edited:

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"aluminum rocker panels"

The 1961 Chevrolet Impala Super Sport did not come standard with exterior bright metal rocker trim. It was not a factory option either.
It was a dealer installed accessory.

info from Chevrolet printed document....the 1961 GM/Chevrolet pdf website and the photos of
Tommy Nolen's white '61 SS in Super Chevy magazine before the car was restored.

And, they were stainless steel, not aluminum. And, today they are very difficult to find and expensive

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
And, they were stainless steel, not aluminum. And, today they are very difficult to find and expensive
You can find some.....problem is the stainless is probably scratched and the only way to repair it is to.......remove it from it's backing support which usually means you destroy the stainless when you when you do that!!!!!

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I've found that almost all of them have a really bad scratch near the end, the way they were packaged in the box caused the stud in the end of one to scratch the other one :cuss

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Look at Robert's picture Steve. Maybe he can take a close up of them?

They had them for 59-60 also and Corvairs also.

DaveN

Well Known Member
That is one beautiful jewel blue Impala SS. I believe the difference in 59/60 and 61 rocker moldings is the 59/60 had screws in the ends the 61's did not.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
On the blue 61 car. Is that the correct upper radiator hose clamp for 61-62? Looks wrong but I don't really know.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
On the blue 61 car. Is that the correct upper radiator hose clamp for 61-62? Looks wrong but I don't really know.
Mike the "tower" clamp is as far as I know the correct radiator large hoses clamp for 61-62 409's. The the two organizations the 61 SS and the 62 SS cars are shown in haven't docked any points for originality. I must admit was hose clamp docked in the Wyoming AACA show last year but it was for the lower hose clamp on the 62 that had a bit of corrosion on it but was been dealt with for this year.
Robert

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Look at all the pits in the stainless!!!!!!! Would have thought Tommy would have had better parts on the car!!!!!!!