My personal nightmare

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Personally I wish these British cars would leave me alone.
I cringe at the job on the one that is in the bay on the other side.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Who me??????????? Maybe if it was a Triumph,but MG's were a bigger pain to work with. Before my wife and I got married,she became enamored with a customers little MG midget.My response was,"You' better learn how to work on it be cause I won't,and I' m NOT going to pay someone else to either".Never heard another word about it.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Yeah you Don.
No this is way above that....well maybe.
How about a 2006 Range Rover with a 4.4 Jag 4 cam chain drive head gasket job. :doh

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Well if the customer can afford a pos Range Rover,he can afford the bill that goes with it,or it can stay broken. That may be the same Ford designed engine that was in some of the Jags.It's not all that hard to work on,but parts are PRICEY! What did the idot owner do,overheat it?

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
I quit working on other people's stuff a long time ago. Too much time,too many hours wasted on people who don't appreciate it, too many people act like you owe them all that work for nothing because you know how to do it and they don't, and God help you if an engine machine shop you outsourced his engine or parts to screws up, it can be a nightmare. Got tired of people calling me all times of the day and night, dropping by unannounced, and if you tell them "NO"on anything, you're the bad guy. I worked my posterior off on some projects for others, and there wasn't enough in it for me to make it worthwhile. They also liked to show up on a Saturday just as you're leaving to go to the beach or the mountains or somewhere with your wife. I have a life now, it's bigger than some people's car problems.

wristpin

Well Known Member
I quit working on other people's stuff a long time ago. Too much time,too many hours wasted on people who don't appreciate it, too many people act like you owe them all that work for nothing because you know how to do it and they don't, and God help you if an engine machine shop you outsourced his engine or parts to screws up, it can be a nightmare. Got tired of people calling me all times of the day and night, dropping by unannounced, and if you tell them "NO"on anything, you're the bad guy. I worked my posterior off on some projects for others, and there wasn't enough in it for me to make it worthwhile. They also liked to show up on a Saturday just as you're leaving to go to the beach or the mountains or somewhere with your wife. I have a life now, it's bigger than some people's car problems.
AMEN BROTHER!!!
I finish my neices El Camino and brothers truck I'm DONE with other peoples SHIT!!

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
You nailed it, Greg.:clap Can I, add something to your comment? Relatives.:doh They expect you, to work on their cars, when ever, they have an Emergency problem. (eg: my car wouldn't pass inspection) After helping them out, you're confronted with the "I will see you, on Payday." But, as I have learned, Payday never comes.:dunno2Then, a couple of weeks later, you see them, and they have an excuse, why they can't pay. :doh I have learned my lesson, over the years.:bang

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
I have an old friend that I knew around 1983 or so. He's a body man and a painter, and he does work at his house. We're both in our 60's now, so working all the time doesn't happen like it did, but several times over the years, we traded work. He painted my four 68 Chevelles over the years, my Monte Carlo twice in the last 34 years, my red 65 Impala SS convertible, and other stuff as well. He had a 79 Chevy step side, 350 and all, and when I had my 71 El Camino, I built a spare stock 350 for it.( He also painted the El Camino as well), and when I built my 68 Chevelle stocker, I had it up to a roller, and stuck a junk still running 350 in it so it could be movable under its own power, and he right then called asking if I could rebuild the motor in the truck. I explained that I had a Chevelle in need of paint, how would you like to trade jobs? He and I agreed, so I put the Chevelle on the trailer, took it to his house, and returned with his truck. He and I got right to work, his truck motor was absolutely worn out, so I stuck the stock rebuild in it, new water pump, hoses, coolant,plugs, wires, etc. and he sanded and painted the Chevelle and then polished it.Perfect trade, both parties happy. We have done that several times. We've been friends seems like forever, never had a problem, and we both feel that family comes first, cars later. I've always helped my neighbors with cars, that way it kept them off my case in the event of race motors getting started up or cars being loaded,which is a very rare occurrence, but the old saying applies: screw me once, that's your fault, twice and that one is my fault. One neighbor got me like that, and he has such a bad reputation on this street that there isn't anybody that wants to talk to him anymore. He started reporting everybody he could for code infractions, enforcement officers would arrive,only no violations ever resulted in any action. Hasn't happened in a while, so I guess they got tired of him and said so. We had a big remodel done about 7 years ago, I instructed the contractor what was going on, and I wanted him to have a permit for everything before they pulled the first nail. Code enforcement was out a few times, never found anything, no corrections were mandated, life went on. Those are unusual extremes, but I have found out that some limits have to be established when dealing with other people. I've had pretty good relations over all with almost everybody.