Power for 1964 impala convertible top??

curvesman

top quit working do not see any fuses in fuse box for top? Any clue were it gets its power from?
Thanks in advance!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Your power top motor is in the trunk. Check to make sure all wires from the fuse box to the motor are good. Either bad connection from fuse panel to switch or...bad switch or bad pump motor.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I know the 65' s are different but there is a circuit breaker way up under the dash above ebrake pedal which is really hard to see have to be upside under the dash to see it.

curvesman

I do not see a fuse marked convertible top any where ,so it could be a circuit breaker so where I will look tomorrow. I checked the switch with a meter and seems to be ok . No power to the switch. I put a temp feed to the switch and heard the motor go on and blew a fuse were I took the temp power from. I followed the wires from the switch and they seemed to go inside the side kick panel. (thinking they were heading to the fuse box????

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
There was a fuse down by the lower driver's air vent. I know it was the fuse for power seats. May have been for power top too.
Paul will chime in with the correct answer.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
here the circuit breaker on the kick panel. This circuit breaker is used on all 61 to 64 full size cars with power convertible tops, power windows, Power seats plus all the SS console wiring harnesses.
I have two original 62 SS convertible wiring harnesses that came only with a power top and they have a circuit breaker in the wiring harness for mounting to the kick panel. In fact all factory cars are have the kick panel drilled for the circuit breaker screws.

P1010442_tn.jpgP1010446_tn.jpg
The first picture is from a friends 62 SS convertible. It has power top, and power windows and SS console -my 62 SS convertible has the same wiring. All of these power accessories connect to the circuit breaker. The gray plug will have back 1/4 glass wiring harness added to it.

The red wire is the power side of the circuit.
The yellow wire is for the power top and connects to the firewall where a under hood red wire plugs into it that runs to the starter.

All this wiring is included in the American Autowire wiring harnesses for convertibles (that match the original wiring)

If pictures of the firewall connection for the convertible top wiring I have pictures that I can post. All factory convertibles have the firewall drilled for the wiring harness plug (yellow to red)
The 2nd picture is of the factory circuit breaker.
Paul

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
As Cecil said, this is all in the 1961 factory service manual, including trouble shooting I believe.
Don

Junky

Well Known Member
My experience with convertibles has been that when they start tripping the circuit breaker, the pump motor is usually frozen. I have taken them apart, cleaned the pump itself, and reassembled them and they work fine after that. When I started to change them from the factory brake fluid to automatic transmission fluid, the problems went away. The brake fluid would absorb moisture, and cause the corrosion in the pump.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I bought a 64 chevelle ss convertible that top also did not work . The pump was frozen so i disassembled it and cleaned it and worked fine.