Z-11 restoration

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Here are some of the latest photos of the Z-11 restoration.
Fender number 45.
I decided to paint everything just like factory. At one point I had thought about leaving the fender edges and the bottom of the hood natural aluminum and clear coat it like the 62. But, I decided to go ahead with the factory colors.

I’m going to send the interior to Gena at Ciadella’s. It’s probably going to crumble but, I’m going to ask her to remake the interior using all she can. It’s actually in amazing condition and I think the front seats and part of the back seats can be reused. There are a couple of panels that will have to be replaced. Seems something was living in a seat back during some winter.
EE37A381-F52A-4858-9163-543D12B1F69D.jpeg

F2E86C78-A89D-4F2E-BC9A-9ABFE5D5CFF3.jpeg

E60B6874-69D1-4AD0-A1DD-89442324C6B0.jpeg
D654499E-7B46-4587-B60D-8A71C36B76BB.jpeg

1C7FE889-7B64-4A36-A85C-1B257DD06235.jpeg

D647FB67-01EF-4CF9-9A44-2D8F9CAF0A9F.jpeg

317EFC73-53AF-40E8-B9E1-B7729DCA809F.jpeg

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Here are some of the latest photos of the Z-11 restoration.
Fender number 45.
I decided to paint everything just like factory. At one point I had thought about leaving the fender edges and the bottom of the hood natural aluminum and clear coat it like the 62. But, I decided to go ahead with the factory colors.

I’m going to send the interior to Gena at Ciadella’s. It’s probably going to crumble but, I’m going to ask her to remake the interior using all she can. It’s actually in amazing condition and I think the front seats and part of the back seats can be reused. There are a couple of panels that will have to be replaced. Seems something was living in a seat back during some winter.
View attachment 59334

View attachment 59335

View attachment 59336
View attachment 59337

View attachment 59338

View attachment 59339

View attachment 59340
Pat....the 2 fenders I bought back in Mar. 2011...I think.....one was 4 and I think the other was 45. The pictures of the numbers is on my shop computer and I haven't even fired it up!!!! Oh well, fenders are gone anyway!!!

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The second upper rear arm was believed by many to have been stock on Z-11 cars, but as Phil has said they were not.

I remember putting one on a 61 Flat top I had before I knew much about the Z cars. I fully believe anyone that had from a 59-64 added one if they were really racing their car.(that is if they ran a stock Chevy rear end).

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I'm told the extra arm was on the HD frame option for taxi and police? Came with 15" wheels. Paul Esterly told me that long ago. Could by wrong.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I'm told the extra arm was on the HD frame option for taxi and police? Came with 15" wheels. Paul Esterly told me that long ago. Could by wrong.

I’ll ask Jody Anderson since he had that police car.
If it was a part of a package, Chevrolet would have listed it accordingly in the parts books. I’ll look again, just don’t remember a listing.

One thing I do know is as rear tires were allowed to be wider Chevy rear ends were replaced with Pontiac and others and relagated to the trash heap! LOL LOL

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Pat,

Do you use a surrogate frame for panel matching and painting? Sure must cut down clean up time!..Looks great, Dennis

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Pat,

Do you use a surrogate frame for panel matching and painting? Sure must cut down clean up time!..Looks great, Dennis

Yes, I have a frame we use to roll the body around on while we are banging away.
I started that years ago. If you look close you can see there are casters underneath. Allows easier work on the frame at the same time.

Meanwhile, I reached out to Jody about his police car and the extra arm we discussed. Jody, texed me half laughing. No extra bar on the HD Police cruisers of the 60’s.