348 409 camshaft

djones3158

Hello, just joined the group in hopes of identifying a camshaft I've owned since 1969. A friend drag raced back in the day and ran 409 stuff. I was trying to build a 61 409 street car one piece at a time and he gave me this cam. I never completed the task and sold the car and just bought a running car. Girls weren't to impressed with the project . Sad thing is the 61 had a ss trunk on it. I don't know if it was a true ss but car didn't look like it had been replaced at the time [needed overall paint job] but that's water under the bridge. Anyway the camshaft has a 3796377 pt number on it and I looked at the part numbers listed on this site but didn't see anything. Don't know if I should sell it, junk it, or make a lamp out of it! Any help is appreciated.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Although I've gotten away with it on my small blocks,it isn't a good idea to do either one Ray.Both the cam lobes and the lifter faces have to wear in together,and with today's oils,either one's going to become a headache.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Some people are on a budget. Can't afford to scrap a perfectly good cam. Just know what you are doing and that the cam is indeed good. I personally would not resuse a flat tappet cam. Now days you can lose a lobe on a brand new cam pretty easy.

427John

Well Known Member
D the number you posted is 1 digit off of the 3796077 early 380-409hp solid cam but even then you don't know if it has been reground to a different profile.The only way to find out would be to map the lobes with a dial indicator and degree wheel.A lot of the cam vendors back in the day used factory cams as a core but they usually(but not always) engraved something on the face of the front or back journal.

djones3158

thanks... looked closer at the number and you are correct. My old eyes missed it. That was the answer I was looking for. It sounds like nobody would want this cam for anything so I guess I'll just pitch it. Pretty sure it was never reground. The friend I got this from I'm sure was just giving me his old stuff. He ran b/mp with a lot of Honest Charlie stuff Engle cam, Jahns pistons etc. Thanks to everyone that replied. This is a pretty neat site...

djones3158

I agree, with the higher seat pressure that most are running nowdays I would be very afraid, but for an old original low horsepower application I wouldn't think anything bad would happen with new lifters, but I'm not suggesting try it and see. I just hate to throw out a 409 camshaft! lol!

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
Most Cam failure issues are caused by over springing everything.
People spring crap for 7000 rpm, that is only a 5500rpm engine, and you're only at that 5500 mark for a split second for gear change, and maybe going through the traps.
Majority of the time, most engines spend life in the mid 3000-4500 range.
Coil bind, retainer to guide clearance, rocker slot bind, etc. Are all cam killers.