Aftermarket Aluminum 409 Water Pumps

425/409ER

Well Known Member
So the kids 409 has a slightly loose water pump bearing I found out today and I do not have enough time to rebuild it right now. So I was wondering if anyone has used the cheaper aluminum aftermarket water pumps?, I will not buy an Edelbroke one, not even if it was free.

Hi , getting ready to purshase a water pump, for my 409.
Why would the Edelbrock not be a good choice.
I have my stock one , just wanted to go aluminum
Thanks
Pepemotorsports

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The new edelbrock pumps use counter sunk screws. My first one with the bolts hit the stock cover. Of course edelbrock said I was the first person to have that problem. :rolleyes That pump went bad and the new one had a thicker cover with the counter sunk screws.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Edelbrock sold him some defective parts,then jerked him around unmercifully.He has had a "burr" under his saddle since then,rightfully so.

Yup, hard to trust a company that used to be so good, just takes me once to use someone else. Thanks for all the replies, I will get one of the others ordered this week. I found another stock one in the attic but it's so old I just don't trust it.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Yup, hard to trust a company that used to be so good, just takes me once to use someone else. Thanks for all the replies, I will get one of the others ordered this week. I found another stock one in the attic but it's so old I just don't trust it.

You can get a re-build kit from Show Cars for 348/409 water pump. I have done several.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

If running a thicker billet timing cover the Edelbrocks rear cover plate bolts need to be swapped for "button head" bolts. Mine made 25 dyno pulls spinning well over 6500, not in the car yet to tell longevity.
I've looked around for a billet timing cover for my 409 rebuild project with no luck. Where did you find one?

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
A few years ago Dave Smith here(who I think has passed away) had some made up. It actually was a little too thick and for any water to clear I had to use 2 gaskets.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I ended up ordering a Aluminum pump from Speedway, it was priced a little higher but with no shipping cost it was about the same as the others. Funny thing was my son saw the cast iron one for $101 but I convinced him on the lighter one to loose some weight. Besides it looks better.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Got the pump today, the front bearing is HUGE on this thing. I did noticed some things that I will have to beware of. The fitting for the heater hose outlet is very thin so I will not tighten it too much, looks to be crack prone if you decide to crank it too tight. I also noticed that the outlets or inlets of the pump are pretty small opening, hope this pump cools the car.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Well guys, just got done running the car after putting in the new water pump. I do have to say that it's not just a bolt in. I had to change the little 1/4" bolts on the back of the pump to keep it from hitting the timing cover, then the by-pass fitting they give you with the pump leaves a lot to be desired, so what I did was get a piece of 1/2" brass threaded pipe then I cut it to match the old pump and that worked great. I also switch the upper stock pulley with an old A/C one from my '66 Caprice I saved, that helped a lot. I changed the spacer with a shorter one on the fan so it's half in half out of the shroud, filled the coolant and ran the car. The hottest it got at idle was 190° and it's 89° here today and prior the car would idle at over 210, that was without the electric fan on. With the fan on the car stays at 180°, so I am happy with that. Glad I replaced the pump, the old one was leaking anyway.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Just one more update on this, Took the car out for a nice long drive with the new pump and smaller pulley on the car last night. Driving down the road it now the temp stays between 160° and 175° so I am pretty stoked about this change, the tiny Holley I out on the car run perfect. Now, on to the car shows!!