Oil for 409

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Hi Jodi in mine I use 10/40 but many use 20/50, 10/30 or a specialty oil in different weights :dunno:dunno:dunno

427John

Well Known Member
That is dependent on your particular engine ie. how tight the clearances are,but a good rule of thumb provided you are using a good quality high performance/heavy duty type oil is as low a viscosity that will still give you good hot oil pressure.The 10w30 you listed is a good starting point run it and listen to what your oil pressure gage tells you,if it maintains good oil pressure under all conditions move down to 5w30 at the next oil change and see what happens,if it shows a little low in hot conditions move up to 10w40 or 15w40.The benefit of running thin oil is less parasitic pumping loss (more available power and better economy) and better oil flow and cooling.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I use Castrol 20w-50 in my '62 409. Why, I'm not really sure. I know on a hot summer day, I have 50 lbs. of oil pressure at 45-50 mph, about 2300 rpm's. Idle about 28 lbs. I know it's a heavier oil, but I don't drive the car in cold Winter type weather, so it's not an issue turning over. I also add the zinc additive, Carmine.

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I use Castrol 20w-50 in my '62 409. Why, I'm not really sure. I know on a hot summer day, I have 50 lbs. of oil pressure at 45-50 mph, about 2300 rpm's. Idle about 28 lbs. I know it's a heavier oil, but I don't drive the car in cold Winter type weather, so it's not an issue turning over. I also add the zinc additive, Carmine.
Carmine, why the zinc additive or any other, I'm using 10w30 and it seems fine. But I do use oil that says for high mileage vehicles, why, just because of the age of the engine, it's never been rebuilt. Should I be using this new high tech molecular bounding additives?

bobs409

Administrator
Because the damn tree hugger EPA took the zinc out of the oil because of the crap cars that use a catlytic converter. They never give a crap about older cars or they're owners.

It's only needed when you have parts that "slide" on one another like a cam lobe to lifter. Roller rockers or zinc is your choice...

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine, why the zinc additive or any other, I'm using 10w30 and it seems fine. But I do use oil that says for high mileage vehicles, why, just because of the age of the engine, it's never been rebuilt. Should I be using this new high tech molecular bounding additives?
Bob said it exactly. I buy the zinc additive through Amazon and add a bottle to every oil change. Cheap insurance in the scheme of things, Carmine.

Cayneman

Well Known Member
dakota tom X2. Adding a bottle of zinc after an oil change is the last thing I'd do. Oil manufacturers have staffs of engineers and chemists who determine the correct level of zinc and phosphorus in their products. By adding additional zinc who knows what level you have in your oil. Too much zinc causes excessive wear and corrosion.

Last edited:

427John

Well Known Member
Poison,I like the Rotella also along with Delo 400 as much as people like to think of it as diesel oil I believe that they have maintained the zinc in it more than the standard auto oils.I've also had good luck with it keeping the engine cleaner inside.It is more limited in viscosity choices but I always run it if I can find a weight that is appropriate.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Poison,I like the Rotella also along with Delo 400 as much as people like to think of it as diesel oil I believe that they have maintained the zinc in it more than the standard auto oils.I've also had good luck with it keeping the engine cleaner inside.It is more limited in viscosity choices but I always run it if I can find a weight that is appropriate.
I believe the last time I looked at a label on the Rotella, in the l's t year or two, there isn't any zinc in it anymore. :dunno2