What's the chance?

Junky

Well Known Member
I see that as the second title, since it was acquired from a previous owner(s) as a casual sale. In the area for the dealer number, it says casual, and the sellers are 2 individuals. It is still remarkable that it passed through many hands, without being titled.
I remember 50 years ago, some states didn't require titles to register the car, while others did. It was a very loose patchwork of laws around the nation at the time, that could give you a lot of grief if you bought a car in one state, and then brought it to another state for registration. I purchased a 1963 Model year Chevrolet, and New Hampshire back then didn't use model years, they used the calendar year that the car was built. My car was built in November 1962, and they registered it as a 1962 car. The reasoning behind this was their method of taxing cars. The older the car, the less the tax. When I took the car to New Jersey to register it there, they wouldn't accept the registration, since it said the car was a 1963, but the NH registration said it was a 1962. NH didn't issue titles at the time, and the dealerships didn't give the owner the Certificate of Origin with the car. All you got were the license plates and registration. I finally got it resolved by visiting the DMV in Trenton, and after I explained the NH system, they made a call and confirmed what I had told them.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Jackshaw was in Euclid, Ohio, correct?

I think there might have been more than one Jackshaw automotive in the Cleveland area (Jackshaw Pontiac?), I remember the one in Brookpark, not far from the Chevrolet Plant. I think it's still called "Chevrolet Drive" where the plant was.

Either way, that document is PRICELESS :) :) :).

TomK

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
I like that title. Ohio stopped using the yellow some time. FYI., Eddie still lives in that house. As for the Jackshaw dealerships, there was Jackshaw Chevy on the east side of Cleveland on E. 185 th. St. owned by Walter Jackshaw, and Jackshaw Pontiac on the west side of Cleveland on Detroit Ave , owned by brother Steve. Eddie worked at Chevy first, later at Pontiac where they campaigned a G.T.O.

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
I just noticed that Tom Santore's name is also on the title. He was a mechanic at Jackshaw in the 60's. They called him Doc. Sad to say he passed away several years ago. I also remember , when Evans Chevy ,in Painesville , Ohio, bought the car, it was raced by Dale Evans. That dealership is also long gone.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I used to date a young lady from Painesville OH (she attended "Lake Erie College for Women" :). Man, do I have a lot of stories from that place!

I am most familiar with the Jackshaw Pontiac dealership since it was near my parent's home in Parma. I'm sure I bought some parts there. I had a first year GTO summer of 1970 :).

Mike Pado

Is Eddie's shop still there ? The last time I was there was when he had just received his enclosed truck which was ripped off ..

Last edited:

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
I could be wrong, I often am, but I don't think the White Tornado name was used during the Jackshaw years. I believe that was the name put on by Evans Chevy. However, it pays great homage to the car and it's racing history. That will be one beautiful car !!!

Last edited:

RussC

Well Known Member
I could be wrong, I often am, but I don't think the White Tornado name was used during the Jackshaw years. I believe that was the name put on by Evans Chevy. However, it pays great homage to the car and it's racing history.

It has been reported both ways. That being said I believe you are correct. The car was campaigned as Jackshaw for the 63 season only...and for several seasons as Evans Chevrolet (white Tornado). Jackshaw...with the associated personal is the most historically significant...more people saw it as the White Tornado. I simply had to add the Tornado on the trunk.

We actually had a conversation about painting one side as Jackshaw and the other as Earl Evans