Newbie here in NC with a '63 model 409

Lamar-NC

That is a ton of input, I appreciate it all and have taken notes. Thanks guys, I'll keep y'all informed on the project!

Lamar-NC

OK guys, here goes...I got a call from the shop today, all my big parts (block, caps, crank, heads) are clean and crack free. The crank is turned down .010 on both and is the only machining operation done so far. I'm getting ready to spend some cash. Any advice on parts for a mild street engine will be much appreciated. I want to stay with the original rods assuming that they check good. Don, I will be calling you (again). Thanks,

Lamar-NC

Springs, retainers, keepers, teflon seals, stainless valves, and screw-in studs are on the way. My local machine shop received a phone call from "Doctor Don" the other day, so feedback from that conversation makes me feel even more comfortable with the local guy. Thanks Don!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Lamar had told me that the guy at the machine shop had a dubious opinion of the K-B pistons and I wondered what he knew that I didn't about them.:dunnoIt turns out that his concern/confusion was the K-B hyperutecnic pistons.They only make the Icon pistons for the W engines from the 2618 alloy which is among the best of the alloys for a racing strength pistons.His local guy is a good,knowlegable guy who can do the work needed without having to go to another shop for the necessary work,saving Lamar both time and money.Lamar is going to do his own assembly work.I'm a phone call away if he needs me.

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I believe that I suggested that Elliot not reproduce the factory counter bores when we talked.