1962 Bel Air Bubble Top 409 Project

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Did you figure out the matching drive gear # to mach up with the driven gear. I just order from 5Speeds.
a new 27 spline #8 (.l84) that goes with my early T-10 and the matching driving gears 19-21-22, because of
my tire size and 3:73 rear end. Im still not getting the speedo to work.... so Im taking the old gear off the tranny, and starting with new. I would like to know what gears you found that worked for you. Good luck Jim.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cash, I'm not sure what drive gear is in Mike's transmission, but a "natural" colored gear meshed properly.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Its not a great thing to be hard head, and stupid, but at times, Im both.:crazy After all my time changing trans gears, speedo gears, not listening to those that know, I have found out that my SPEEDOMETER is no good. As you might know I bought a 62 SS
car, (why)? so I hadn't taken the dash apart yet, but did, took the speedometer out and hooked it up to the 409 cable, and it worked like new. I still haven't got the new one in yet, as I hate to take the dash apart in the Bel Air, probably the reason I was
so hard headed about not believing that it was the speedo in the first place.

Going to take the Bel Air in for new front springs tomorrow, hoping that it brings it up to the factory ride height. Also have to have 2x4's looked at for right fuel mixture, its running rich.

I would like to know, I had adjusted the valves, solid type, with a 425 cam, at 12 & 18 int.. it seems to sound pretty clacky.
Any suggestions. :think 690 heads stock. thanks. cash guzzler

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I thought you checked the speedo head a long time ago.Do you regret buying the ss .?????

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Just to recheck them,but .018's going to make noise,especially if you're running stock stamped steel rockers,Stan.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi Don & blkblk63ss, thanks for the reply... first I got into trouble by running the drill on the cable and the speedo worked, ?.
thats where the stubbornness came in. I bought the SS car for something to do in the winter, its a big job, I have almost finished the frame, have all the big piece's in primer and ready for paint, just the body to do. I still have the floor to repair,
the biggest job for me, as Im don't know how to weld etc. My friend Barry has his 409 running now, with Jahn's Piston, sure sounds sweet, he might be interested in the car, I wasn't going to keep it, just get it to the point of where it would be a
good sell. Don... Yes Im running stock rockers, what # would be good to adjust the valve's to? 22-24? .... and the 12 on exhaust. is that ok. I'd really like to see this thing run like the scolded dog it is suppose to be. Damm I haven't even lit the tires up yet. :tantrum

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Stan,The looser that you set the lash,the noiser it will be.If you want it a little quieter set the lash on both valves a little tighter,but for an engine that's driven for miles at a time,don't reduce it more than .004 If you want it to be fast,change cams.If you want it to be quiet,change cams.There are modern grinds available that will blow the performance of that stock cam away.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi , Got the car back from the suspension Garu's, they did a great job, I had bought a set of beefy heavy duty front springs, it brought it up about 2-1/2 inches, they also did some heating on the rear springs to bring them down 2", the car really sit nice now. They also did the front end alignment, adjusted the parking brake, a little expensive, but Im happy. :good I adjusted the valve's, went with the 12 int .. 18 exh. again today, I check all the spark plugs, on the 1357 side they were almost ok, no black fueled up ones, 2468 , were all black.
Im going to try and find someone to adjust carbs, linkage, new plugs, etc. this weekend. thanks for all the help and idea's.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi, for those that didn't know, I was the "only" guy in auto shop that almost flunked the class. So
after adjusting valve lash, things went south. I didn't think it sounded right, but decided to drive
it over to my buddy's house for his 409 Motor Stand start up. Not a good idea, stalled on the way over, luckily got it started, after 3 guys helped push it out of the intersection. Got to the party, the real mechanics were their luckily, didn't sound good. Checked the plugs, they needed re-gapped, was told
it was ok to drive it home slowly. Great party, the 409 Roared to everyones delight, this is the one
I had talked about with the Jahn's Pistons.
Bad news, after taking the valve cover off, discovered problem, rocker was off #3 and pushrod was
stuck. Had the boys come over, we took off the intake, etc, they got the pushrod to come out, it was broken off, but luckily for me it had just laid in the upper valley. All I had to buy was a pushrod and a solid lifter. Today they, the real mechanics are going to come over and adjust the valve lash for me.

Im going out later today to look at a 1978 4dr caprice , something I can handle. :laugh

100_3610.jpg
Mechanic Error... should be 3/8 size... :wacko
100_3598.jpg
The CASHguzzler409 waiting for Emergency Mechanic :dunno2
100_3594.jpg
Barry built this homemade run stand....cool colors...:drive :burnout
100_3593.jpg
425 hp, 690 heads, original 2x4 intake & carbs, Jahn's Pistons, really nice roar....

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Update on the broken pushrod, tried resetting valve lash today, not good. Now pushrod on Int. # 1 is bent.am taking the head off, they think I bent a valve. Im not sure how to get the head off?. Any quick tips. :confused Its stuck on pretty good, and don't really want to ruin it. thanks....

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Looks like a lot of carbon.
You may want to block off the exhaust cross over in the intake. Now when you do this it will make the car cold nature, but just bring it to temp and go have some fun. :burnout

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Got the carbs back from the Carb guy and he said that the choke was set closed all the time, no wonder it looks like that. And you block these off by the gaskets?. You know I haven't even laid rubber in this pup yet. sad to say.