Looking for Input...

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm trying to figure out the coil pack layout I want to use on my valve covers.
Part of me was thinking to follow the valve layout but it is kind of hard to not cover up the bow tie if I do.
Another option is to go opposite the valve layout. What I like about both is, they form a W.
Thoughts?
And some pics for reference...

Attachments

• 15348233258346382396830841829167.jpg
    15348233258346382396830841829167.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 15348233489352144813024881069812.jpg
    15348233489352144813024881069812.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 51

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I would make a aluminum box with a remove able cover polished out running along top of valve cover front to rear just wide enough to to set coils narrow side up and down. Another words have the mounting holes on coil running horizontal bolted to backside of box . Have the coils facing each other in the box and run all incoming wires at rear of box, and have each wire to each plug coming out of box on front side . This make sense??? The box would run over the intake bolts .

427John

Well Known Member
Another thought along the lines off blkblk63's idea is to make the box as he suggested and mount the coils so the spark plug wire socket sticks out holes in the side of the box just above its sparkplug to keep the wire as short as possible,and the wires to control the coils can come in the back by the firewall to stay hidden.You can move the box to the intake side of the valve cover as much as your carb linkage allows to keep the distinctive bottom edge of the valvecovers visible.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Another thought along the lines off blkblk63's idea is to make the box as he suggested and mount the coils so the spark plug wire socket sticks out holes in the side of the box just above its sparkplug to keep the wire as short as possible,and the wires to control the coils can come in the back by the firewall to stay hidden.You can move the box to the intake side of the valve cover as much as your carb linkage allows to keep the distinctive bottom edge of the valvecovers visible.
The reason I said to line them up to order to keep It a narrow box I thought about as suggested by 427 John also

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You could always make a set of coil covers from another set of valve covers.
I guess I could, but the idea of cutting up good valve covers isn't one I like. Not like the valve covers are rare or in short supply, I prefer not to cut good sheet metal.
I don't mind showing off the mods nor have I been thinking of any many coverings. Suppose I could cut enough of the top off a set to leave only the minimal wires exposed.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Although I don't have red MSD coils, I could paint the coils I do have red, along with the bow tie and do the W pattern in the second pic so the bow tie is exposed.
I had been thinking of spot welding on individual mounts which put the coils about half an inch above the valve covers.