Inexpensive Borescope

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I purchased an inexpensive borescope a couple of months ago and just got a chance to use it last week. It is a Depstech 1200P Wi-Fi Endoscope Inspection Camera. The unit I have has a 20 meter camera tube (I assume for checking pipes or walls) and comes with a battery-powered Wi-Fi transmitter. The self-contained Wi-Fi transmitter links to my iPhone or iPad and will transmit still or video to them. I believe it also works with Android devices. The tip of the "probe" has LED lighting that you can control the intensity (too much light in a small space washes out the image). Although the camera is fixed, you can rotate the probe tip by turning the cable and it will let you look around. It also comes with a small mirror that attaches to the end, but I have not tried that for fear of losing it inside the engine. The probe tip is 8.4mm in diameter - small enough to easily go through a spark plug hole. Cost on Amazon was $37.75! An amazing tool for small cost!
Depstech_HD_WiFi_Endoscope_overview.jpg

I was surprised with how easy it was to set up and the clarity of the images. I used it to check my 350ci Chevy that had been sitting since 1997 to see if the cylinders looked bad. Enclosed are some photos that I took with the scope. You can even see the cross-hatching in the cylinder, which was a surprise to me - the engine has about 75k miles on it! The scope saved me from having to pull the heads to check it out.
1536938865043.jpg

1536938903281.jpg

John

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I bought a bore scope off of Ebay its the same one as Harbor freight has its the more expensive one but I can't see jack crap with it. I think I just need to spend a little more time with it. The pics. on yours look great Jeb.

Mark

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I bought a harbor freight one and found that if you play with it to understand how the light works ,dimming or not on at all and reverse image that it works better. Happy with it .

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I read some reviews on hb and one guy said the wand wont stay attached to head very good ,always comes off. So I get mine and check it and found out it pushes in and has a coupler Barrell to screw on and secures it. Duh, guess the guy wasn't smart enough to realize that.

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Bob: I tried to find the tech sheet/manual for the Zipom unit on the web, but came up blank. I did see that it is a Android-based USB-connected unit, so my experience with my Wi-Fi unit isn't much help to you. There were a couple of tips identified in the on-line users forum for my endoscope that solved a couple of connection problems on my unit that weren't adequately described in the owners manual, but again, they relate to a Wi-Fi based scope. Sorry, I don't have any helpful suggestions on your Zipom unit.
Amazon is offering free shipping and a 5% discount coupon on the Depstech endoscope right now (listed at $35.99 before coupon. (https://www.amazon.com/Depstech-Endoscope-Inspection-Megapixels-Smartphone/dp/B01MYTHWK4) It is both Android and iOS compatible.

bobs409

Administrator
Bob: $ 12.99. Did you expect it to work?:teehee

Well I wanted the Biscayne model. :D The reason I went with the cheap one is they all look the same! I think it's basically the same unit being sold by different companies with different prices. Right now I'm trying to find a better one and to me, they look just like this one! ???

bobs409

Administrator
Bob: I tried to find the tech sheet/manual for the Zipom unit on the web, but came up blank. I did see that it is a Android-based USB-connected unit, so my experience with my Wi-Fi unit isn't much help to you. There were a couple of tips identified in the on-line users forum for my endoscope that solved a couple of connection problems on my unit that weren't adequately described in the owners manual, but again, they relate to a Wi-Fi based scope. Sorry, I don't have any helpful suggestions on your Zipom unit.
Amazon is offering free shipping and a 5% discount coupon on the Depstech endoscope right now (listed at $35.99 before coupon. (https://www.amazon.com/Depstech-Endoscope-Inspection-Megapixels-Smartphone/dp/B01MYTHWK4) It is both Android and iOS compatible.

There is one on there with the Depstech name that looks like the one I got. I'll look around some more...

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I have a Hawkeye brand for looking at my rifleing. Cost several hundred dollars. I replaced the stardard bulb with a LED and the difference was noticeable. You might give that a try.