63 SS Revisited.....Project Z

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Been doin' a lot of sanding........and the more I sand to more pissed I get at the poor quality work with fitment and lack of attention to detail by a shop that I trusted. I can fix some of it myself or get some help from someone smarter than me....but there is a 3/16 bow in the Lt. rear quarter that is pulled in towards the trunk and flares out at the rear. All the body angles line up nice and straight, but this bow is really getting to me. Think it's time to get in front of the shops owner for a little discussion. Glad I pulled the car, but that created the problem of my amateurish work.

On a brighter note, looks like the repo fenders will fit ok. Stance is high like I wanted with the Eaton springs, but I really like the stance of Bryan Fugate's car.

20180624_145407.jpg20180624_145423.jpg

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
According to Mr. Bell, the car was wrecked trailering it home. The fenders had to be replaced with new aluminum. It did not have the 327/409 crossed flags and chrome fender "vents" mounted on the new fenders. Since the fenders I'm using on this build does not have the holes drilled to mount this hardware, I will leave them as this image shows. Reduces the pucker factor....don't ya know!!

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I like the white

They will be white. When Hubert Platt ran the Shaker they were white. My guess is that after the car was wrecked, whatever trim was around locally was used. Images show that at one point, they were all black. The model that was around for the Shaker a while back had them as being red!

RussC

Well Known Member
Today we tend to put z11 cars on a pedestals. When you look at the vintage photos you see what they were...race cars. After a year or two you could see the wear and tear. Focus was performance not concours appearance. Many were wrecked...towing or racing. All were bent. They were a means to an end...temporary...until the next new thing came along.
Yes...today we see them differently...something special....but they were just race cars