Chassis / Frames, which models are interchangeable?

gsg

Hi to All, I'm new to this forum but not to Chevy 348-409. I've previously owned a true 1961 SS and a 1965 SS w/400 HP 409. Currently, I own a 1961 Impala convertible 348 in need of restoration. I'm considering purchase of another chassis/frame to begin the project but finding interchange info online is difficult. So, my question: does anyone know which years/models GM cars will have the correct frame to fit my 1961 Impala convertible? Or am I limited to only 1961 Impala convertible? All help will be appreciated either with the correct answer or direction to help me find the answer. Thanks! Greg

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Beware of 61 to 64 Hardtop, sedan and wagon frames, they are not the same as 61 to 64 convertible frames as Phil noted. I just sold a 62 convertible frame earlier this year.
Paul

gsg

Thank you for your replies!
I am still curious if other GM lines (Pontiac, Buick, Olds) have models that are correct. I don't want to stray too far if I don't need to but availability
in my area
may prove to be the deciding factor.
Thanks, again.
Greg

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Pretty sure the BOP frames from that era would be different (perimeter frames, not X frames).

The correct convertible frames of 1961-64 have four more mounting points than the more common X frames from the coupes and sedans of that era. At least I recall there being 4 more :). Plus there is a unique reinforcement piece alongst the underside of the rockers for the convertibles.

Tell us more about the true 1961 SS car you once had. Do you know where it is now?

Best, TomK

gsg

Thanks for the additional info on the frame.
I do know where (foremerly mine)1961 SS is. The owner wishes to remain unknown. About 30-35 years ago he was hassled to the extreme by people wanting to buy it when they found out he had it (it was not divulged by me).
It is one of those cars that you wish you could have back. Oh well, it's in the best hands I could have asked for.

My 1961 convertible is a great car, too. I've owned it since around 1979-80. It has 348, turboglide, factory air, power windows, power locks, and power bench seat. It's still original paint, interior, top (it does not have original tires, exhaust, the usual maintenance things, of course). It has 90,00 miles, is old and worn, and needs total restoration. I'm looking forward to getting started on it. As the saying goes "maybe next year". :)