409 Hydraulic Lifter, stock Rocker Valve lash Adjustment

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Iowa,you may have to do the procedure and then let it sit overnight before you check to see how they feel,rotating it over will collapse the lifters and it may take a while for them to spring back,besides it's always better to have them a little on the loose side rather than too tight,worst case scenario would be you may have to go back and readjust them after you've done your breakin.

John that is exactly what was happening, I got home from work they were all tight, I still did not like them and used the procedure here on the site, were all good now I believe until fire up.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
After Break in, I have a pretty good supply of 15W40, synthetic I cannot use it anywhere else? I have 5 cases of it I bought somewhere at a auction, that I could not live without......

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
This will be great but ONLY after about 1000 miles to allow the rings to fully break in.No ring manufacturer that I'm aware of recommends synthetic for the initial run in process.You'll also need to run some kind of zinc or zzpd type of additive to protect the cam/lifters.15W40 is generally a diesel oil,but even there,zinc has been phased out,or greatly reduced.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well, I do not need to use it, I can still stay with 10-30. Yep I knew from these cams research that additive will have to always go in with each oil change basically forever.

I’ll find a use for that other oil lol I have to or it never made sense to buy it ..:.: I could never admit I had no reason to buy it. It was cheap

tenxal

Well Known Member
Well, I do not need to use it, I can still stay with 10-30. Yep I knew from these cams research that additive will have to always go in with each oil change basically forever.

It's better to use an oil with an adequate amount of zinc formulated in. We've seen some issues with certain additives in certain oils.

Two excellent oils for your use would be Valvoline VR1 non synthetic 10w30 and the Lucas Hot Rod 10w30.

Junky

Well Known Member
I have been using Blueprint Engines 30 weight break in oil in my 327, and after I get 500 miles on it, I will be switching over to the 10W-30 oil. The price is competitive with other brands of "specialty" oils, and my thoughts are that if it is good enough for their built engines, it should be good enough for mine. Cost $6.95 per quarts, and the last time I bought it, it was free shipping with a 2 case minimum.

tenxal

Well Known Member
Two great break in oils are Driven BR30 (5W30) and the Brad Penn 30 wt. I'm sure there are others out there that perform well. Both of the ones I mention are ones we've had success with in high spring load, aggressive profile, flat tappet combinations, both hydraulic and solid lifter applications.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So there was no torque setting for the oil pan, so I put did the old, Black sealant. then the cork down, bead of black sealant on the otherside and at the corners of the rubbers and tightened it to 15 ft.lbs, maybe a little snug, but I am betting she wont leak...............

Last edited:

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
yep a lil tight, I spoke to Don, were going to pull it back off and check for buckling and straightness and put them back on at 10-12 INCH pnds. Yikes is right, glad to know that screw up before I tried to fill it with fluids and run it..... good having such resources, when you do not know better!!!

tenxal

Well Known Member
Ten ex al Now I get it. You run a Nova and used to shoot BR. Killing any coyotes?
Welcome Al.
Dave

Yeah, that's me. :) Still have a couple of BR rigs and take 'em out occasionally. Will get after some coyotes once the deer hunters are done.

I've been trying to buy a local '63 Biscayne 409-425 for a couple of years but the owner keeps saying "No".

Love your '64, Dave! :cool: