Not sure where this goes,

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
but soon I believe I will be looking at a '57 Pontiac Star Chief 4d ht. Hi everyone. My father had one and I always liked Pontiacs. It's close by and I have nothing better to do. Of course, that depends on who you ask. Has any member ever owned one?? Any pitfalls or something I should be aware of?? Come on now, I'm posting about cars again. Beats politics :laugh2:laugh2:laugh2. Many thanks as usual, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I know on any 4d ht., where the front door locks on the "B" pillar and the rear door is hinged to it, you have to look closely for rust underneath. Any rust with 12" of where the B pillar attaches, don't walk away; run. I can't imagine the force, stress or pressure on this pillar with those two doors attached and that's if the pillar is in great condition. Can you imagine rust?? Made contact with the owner and hope to see it tomorrow. Will report back, Carmine.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Gary, black on blue wow!! That car is gorgeous!!

Carmine, itll have a bad @$$ rearend in it! Well, not as bad @$$ as Gary’s, he has 31 splines, your 57 only has 29, but that can easily be upgraded at typical performance upgrade cost of course:fear2

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
My latest Poncho. Gary

View attachment 67483
Great looking car. That's a '60, correct?? I like the '55-'57, not crazy about the '58, then the '59-'61. I'd take anyone of them. I think I mentioned I'm going to see it tomorrow. The owner, a 75 year old lady/widow, has someone she is going to ask about the value. Sometimes, when a 3rd party gets involved, things can change. But, that's ok with me. Never would want to low ball or cheat this person. It's good that she gets an idea of what it's worth might be. It only has a certain value to me and that's it. I don't really need it, so it's ok if it's too pricey. Within the past 2 years, maybe a little less, I saw a '57 Pontiac go across the block at a Mecum auction on tv. It looked real nice, but don't they all on tv lol. Sold for $14,000.00. In my opinion, someone got a real nice deal. If I was there, I think that car would have gone home with me.
Yes Kevin, I hear that they have some pretty strong rears, although I'm really not familiar with them, Carmine.

62BillT

Well Known Member
A friend of mine's Dad had a '57 Pontiac 2-Dr Sedan with a 347, 3-Speed. We took it for a ride one day. I drove. Cool car. Loved how the transmission sounded.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Carmine, I get the feeling you're preparing yourself to overpay. Here's a little tip on pricing that car. Imagine it's a 57 Chevy 4 door hardtop, in EXACTLY the same condition, then ask yourself what the Chevy would be worth then take 50% of that and that's your target price, max.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine, I get the feeling you're preparing yourself to overpay. Here's a little tip on pricing that car. Imagine it's a 57 Chevy 4 door hardtop, in EXACTLY the same condition, then ask yourself what the Chevy would be worth then take 50% of that and that's your target price, max.
You could be correct on that Mike. This is an older lady who lost her husband and only son. Certainly alot of tragedy and grief in her life. I really wish I didn't know that, because I don't want to be guided by emotion. I think you are right on with your view as to how to determine a value of this car. I don't know what I am going to see or expect. Prices seem to be all over the charts. As usual, depends on condition. The biggest thing in my favor is, I really don't need another car to drive. Drove my C6 Corvette convertible 47 miles last year. Geez, I really need another car, right?? I talk frequently about downsizing and here I am going to look at a potential buy. If this car was a '57 Olds, Plymouth, Buick, etc., I wouldn't even consider it. It's mainly because my father had one and I liked it alot. And close by. Again, an emotional/nostalgic thing. So, this afternoon should be interesting. Going to take the proper tools and equipment with me to take a good look. Snap alot of pics. Ask alot of questions. Found out that this car was purchased 50 some years ago from the original owner. Always garaged. Not started in about 2 years or so. Needs a water pump. Still registered and insured, but I don't see me leaving the garage with it. Stay tuned, Carmine.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Forgot too mention I'm looking for a 1960 biscyane. Most are valued at 18,000.00 and would pay the 18K for a nice one.

But I will not pay the 27K-36K for the one's I've been inquiring about for sale.

Well I'd probably pay 20K:cigar

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I had a nice 55 two door HT black& white, red interior. Little V8 auto. Turn engine off and reverse was park. Thick plastic seat covers, seats were like new. Went in the ditch lighting a cigarette and hit a driveway with that one.

Last edited:

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I get it. sorta. I find myself looking at cars I wouldn't have even thought about when I was younger. There can be something attractive about an original, driveable old car that has been well-stored or maintained, even if it isn't the preferred model. At least to me.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I get it. sorta. I find myself looking at cars I wouldn't have even thought about when I was younger. There can be something attractive about an original, driveable old car that has been well-stored or maintained, even if it isn't the preferred model. At least to me.
Kind of sums it up for me. This '57 Pontiac isn't a car that I would have wanted when I was 16. Was into the trifive Chevys then. 265's. 283's if ur lucky. But, my father had one which I liked alot. Never gave the purchase of one much thought until this car came along. For me to add another car to what I have, I have to be able to relate to it somehow. Whatever the cost, it's still an investment which probably offers little to no return. But, I know that ahead of time. It's certainly can be a want and not a need. If this doesn't work out, I don't see me continuing the search for one. Part of the lure to this car, is location. I'm about 45 minutes away. I really don't think I would travel any great distance to look at one. That just adds to the price. I bought two cars sight unseen and got lucky. The 3rd one I had an professional appraiser/inspector look at it, my '62 Impala, and they missed some simple, obvious things. My '71 GTO, was local at about 40 minutes away. Could look at that one myself which I did and bought it. Wasn't crazy about the Tropical Lime Green color, but it grew on me. Never had a car before that had a body off frame restoration, but this one did. I think this goes back to the first part of this discussion. Wanted something later in life that wasn't affordable when younger. Always liked the GTO's. Have had 4 of them. Ok gentlemen, have to pack up the equipment and head over shortly. Thanks for sharing advice and stories, Carmine.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I had a nice 55 two door HT black& white, red interior. Little V8 auto. Turn engine off and reverse was park. Thick plastic seat covers, seats were like new. Went in the ditch lighting a cigarette and hit a driveway with that one.

Heres a story for you. I went up to see my Aunt Mary and I was just about to walk inside the house when I heard this horrendous noise so I turn around and there's a friend of mine jumping Aunt Mary's ditch with his Dads 65 GTO I thought WTF. What had happened was they just bermed the road and he got a little to close to the berm and it just sucked him and the Goat into the ditch. The tow truck pulled the car out of the ditch and the only thing we could find damaged was the antenna had been snapped off. He took the car to the carwash and cleaned the mud off it and he said it drove just fine nothing wrong with it this was indeed a miracle . How his Dad acquired this GTO was in a contest , he owned a local grocery store that was part of a small chain of stores so they had this contest and the GTO was the prize. I have to wonder if my friends Dad might have had a little help in the contest because within their family there was some ties to organized crime.

Mark

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Mark. Good story. I like stories myself. It seems I tell my fair share of them, Carmine.