Royal Purple oil

T-REXblown409

I asked the other day about using Royal Purple oil somebody said it would be ok after break in, would it be ok to use Royal Purple break in oil? Or would it matter about using another oil then take it out then put RP in afterwards? And do I need say regular 10W40 or will synthetic 10W40 which 1 is best? I've got a 409/472ci 286dur .525lift Isky cam.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Use the break in oil for their recommended mileage[usually about 500 mi,],then go with Synthetic.The rp break in oil is fine regardless of ring type,camshaft design,ect.If you're running a flat tappet cam,the RP street performance oils have plenty of zinc for cam protection.The main concern with synthetics during break in is ring seal.It's generally tougher to get them to seal.Break in oils solve those problems.

Cayneman

Well Known Member
I believe the statement that Synthetic Oil causes leaks is either a myth or an old wives tale. The military and major airlines have been using synthetic oil in their aircraft engines for over 60 years. Why would they use someting that causes leaks? I've also been using synthetic motor oil in my collector cars for many years without having any leak issues. I also have over 40 years experience in aviation and never heard of that myth as well.

Gary

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I’ve had personal experience with 2 or 3 older vehicles that leaked with synthetic and didn’t leak on normal oils, after switching back from synthetic. I have used synthetic in almost everything else for 20+ years and am a big believer otherwise.
Aircraft are built with way better tolerances and gaskets than motor vehicles?

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
One thing about synthetic oil. If you have a leak, synthetic will find it.

Not sure who said synthetic oil causes leaks, but I didn't say it causes leaks. All I can say, I put synthetic in the trans on my 47 Knuck and it leaked like a seive, I would call it a fact, a trail, and not a myth.....lube specs said 90w gear lube. Went back to gear lube, no leak. Your results may differ. I've heard others say the same about synthetic leaks. I'm only betting on my own experience. Working great in NEW stuff for me though.

Last edited:

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I had synthetic, in my Muncie, 5 years ago.:doh It leaked out, of the mid-plate, and my shifter was jumping out of second gear.:drop