My SC experience!

El Rat

Well Known Member
Hi gents I have bought a fair amount of “stuff “ from Showcars. All manner of things, wirelooms, gaskets, scorpion rockers, heat riser delete, fasteners and so forth. All the above (and more) however I bought a light switch and hot/cold sending unit from SC absolute junk...China is not your friend! I will never buy another “electronic “ doda from SC ever. No QC and absolute junk from their suppliers!

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I believe what is happening is that suppliers of light switches and engine switches even wheel cylinders and other parts are all now made overseas. 62 repro hood hinges are junk.
From my experience many of these parts are junk, and I find NOS made in USA parts in most cases made years ago.
It’s not just Show Cars. I have had experience with at least 4 other vendors . The vendors don’t control who makes the parts.
“I return the part and and get a refund, that’s what we all should be doing” - so those companies making the parts get the message.
Paul

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I believe what is happening is that suppliers of light switches and engine switches even wheel cylinders and other parts are all now made overseas. 62 repro hood hinges are junk.
From my experience many of these parts are junk, and I find NOS made in USA parts in most cases made years ago.
It’s not just Show Cars. I have had experience with at least 4 other vendors . The vendors don’t control who makes the parts.
“I return the part and and get a refund, that’s what we all should be doing” - so those companies making the parts get the message.
Paul
I agree with Paul and have found Show Cars to be a supplier who stands behind what they sell. I have phoned to ask about a part they sell and they have said up front they will ship the part but it may have quality issues. They also said there is only one supplier available on that part.

I have also had a part damaged in shipping, they refunded my cost and let me keep the part which I was able to use after repairing it.

On my ranking of the quality of SC as a vendor, I would rank them pretty much at the top.

My experience with electric parts like switches and many other reproduction parts is they are all a gamble for quality from any supplier. At least SC stands behind what they sell, I can't say that for many vendors or for buying off say Ebay vendors (Not you Bob).

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I've bought alot of parts from Show Cars in the past. At times, I've even spoken with Bruce. Always had a good experience. Unfortunately, as mentioned in another thread, it's just not what Show Cars sell. It's all over. Chinese junk. So, either we accept it, roll the dice on fit or quality, or we don't. Return it if we have to. Search for a NOS, used part. I feel your pain on this. A few years ago, I bought a reproduction, dash mounted tach for my '64 SS. I just love the way these tachs look and fit. Short story, the fit was fine but it didn't work properly. Sent it out for repair and it worked fine then. My buddy had the same problem. Contacted the vendor, not SC, and he admitted to having problems with them. So, knowing that, he continues to sell them, right?? So my advice to anyone buying a tach for their dash, don't even bother unboxing it. Send it to an electronics guy of your choice. Less grief and aggravation. Sorry ,a little winded on this one , Carmine.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I was a dealer for SC for probably 25 years. There are a wonderful company and great products. Don't let a $10 light switch go sour on them. You should always be wary of imported electrical anything!!!!!! If you want a quality light switch made in the US..... it would probably a hundred dollars and then nobody would buy it!!!!!
Go easy on SC......without them most of us wouldn't be able to build a 409 engine!!!
Call Bruce and ask for a return.

smittys09

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
PAUL is correct , I bought Chevy 11" rotors & new calipers for my 48 ford from SPEEDWAY & they had SPEEDWAY stamped on the casting on the calipers and right below that made in CHINA , I called them and they said sorry but that where most other places get theirs also , to stay competitive !

El Rat

Well Known Member
Light switch was almost 50.00 and the temp sender about 35.00. I went to e-bay and bought replacement. Note: on the light switch SC wanted to charge me for a replacement and when mine was returned to them AND if they determined that it was truely defective they would refund my money! BS
I don’t need them!

Cayneman

Well Known Member
Needed front and rear valance panels for my 63 Belair 2 door post car. No one in the USA manufactures replacements. Called Eecklers and asked the sales person where their valance panels are made. They replied the USA. I was doubtful of the made in USA claim but as I couldn't find any OEM panels anywhere I ordered them anyway. When they arrived both boxes they came in were clearly marked made in Taiwan. Fortunately they fit fairly well but nowheres near OEM quality. I do all possible not to put Chinese repop parts made by small children on my cars but in this case what else can you do? Since then I make it a point to look at valance panels on cars I see at rod runs and shows. You can tell the repops from 50 feet away as their contours are not nearly as sharp as the OEM panels. Its amazing how many cars are out there with repop panels.

smittys09

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Needed front and rear valance panels for my 63 Belair 2 door post car. No one in the USA manufactures replacements. Called Eecklers and asked the sales person where their valance panels are made. They replied the USA. I was doubtful of the made in USA claim but as I couldn't find any OEM panels anywhere I ordered them anyway. When they arrived both boxes they came in were clearly marked made in Taiwan. Fortunately they fit fairly well but nowheres near OEM quality. I do all possible not to put Chinese repop parts made by small children on my cars but in this case what else can you do? Since then I make it a point to look at valance panels on cars I see at rod runs and shows. You can tell the repops from 50 feet away as their contours are not nearly as sharp as the OEM panels. Its amazing how many cars are out there with repop panels.
SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO BITE THE BULLET OR DO WITHOUT !!!!

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I was a dealer for SC for probably 25 years. There are a wonderful company and great products. Don't let a $10 light switch go sour on them. You should always be wary of imported electrical anything!!!!!! If you want a quality light switch made in the US..... it would probably a hundred dollars and then nobody would buy it!!!!!
Go easy on SC......without them most of us wouldn't be able to build a 409 engine!!!
Call Bruce and ask for a return.
I agree with what Phil states. I've always had a good experience. Sorry that others aren't enjoying the same, Carmine.

El Rat

Well Known Member
I won’t do without and I won’t buy electrical products/components from SC! Their return policy is garbage and their technical support is almost nonexistent!