Idaho's Firebird Raceway becomes first

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
That's a great story. It would be harder to close with historical designation. Let's get Pomona added to that list. It has been there since around 1950,and they've given many concessions to the surrounding area, they only run two races a year there, the Winternationls and the World Finals.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That's a great story. It would be harder to close with historical designation. Let's get Pomona added to that list. It has been there since around 1950,and they've given many concessions to the surrounding area, they only run two races a year there, the Winternationls and the World Finals.

there was much uproar about Pomona years ago, residents wanted it closed. I believe there was a loose agreement that only the two NHRA races would be allowed. BUT a few months ago drags were held at the ? car show , can't remember exact name, of the car show. I found that very interesting that a new drag race was held there.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Race tracks and Quarries. People encroach and then bitch.I just went through zoning land for a new sand pit a couple years ago. And then the appeal when the opposition lost. I cannot believe how people will flat out lie.

Junky

Well Known Member
It is just about 50 years ago, that I bought a piece of property to move my shop to, and one of the reasons that I liked the property, was that it had an existing "junk yard" license on the property. When I applied for the license, the building inspector said that the state no longer issued "junk" license plates, and that I should upgrade the license to a "used car" license. I would also have to go for a variance on the property to get the "upgraded" license. I went through the process of notifying all the neighbors, publishing the change in the newspaper, etc. On the night that it was going to be considered by the zoning board, the room was packed. One by one, each of them objected to the variance, so it appeared that it was going to be denied, until the building inspector stood up, and told everyone that the property already had a "junk yard" license grandfathered on it, and that the used car license would be more restrictive in the use of the property. The head of the zoning board then announced that the board would take a vote and their decision was final. Then he asked for a show of hands as to how many people wanted the zoning variance denied, or approved. Seems everyone realized that a used car license was preferable to having a junk yard in their neighborhood. The zoning board approved the variance. I recently visited the property, and the neighborhood had declined, and it looks like they are running a junk yard on the property now. When I was there, everything was neat and clean, and the cars were parked in an orderly fashion. Not so now.... :(