Macs 348 Build!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Those pictures look like a double notch,but what's the casting number on the back left hand side of the block? Is there a little X on the drivers side,front of the block? If it's a 62,it should have a 962 casting,if it has the x,you have one of the strongest,most desireable 348 blocks that there is.For some reason,:booboo:I thought that this was a 58-61 5011 truck block.

Reactions: Tim

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:appl:appl:congratsWhat you have there is a 65-66.possibly mid 64 348 truck engine,the best place to start if you want to build a big inch,high out put 348.The X generally means that you have slightly thicker main bulkheads,and armisteel main caps.

Share:Email

MacsW33

Alright, so I put alot of thought into this. The 0950 cam is just not gonna rock this thing like i want it to. So I have a blank blackboard. Goals are to keep the factory heads and run either the tripower or the 6 deuce setup with 94's and most important make this thing sound and run like a hot rod!!
Car is very light with a four speed. So game on... Do I work the heads and throw in a set of pistons or since I am in that far add more stroke!? Decisions Decisions:D

Clint

Well Known Member
Alright, so I put alot of thought into this. The 0950 cam is just not gonna rock this thing like i want it to. So I have a blank blackboard. Goals are to keep the factory heads and run either the tripower or the 6 deuce setup with 94's and most important make this thing sound and run like a hot rod!!
Car is very light with a four speed. So game on... Do I work the heads and throw in a set of pistons or since I am in that far add more stroke!? Decisions Decisions:D
You will love the 0950 cam... My vehicle weighs 2600lbs and is a 4 speed too... running s*mbitch. It damn sure sounds like a hot rod.

MacsW33

When looking at pistons do I need to guesstimate a 2 point reduction in CR? With the block being notched and the 333 heads. I would like for this thing to land real close to 10:1

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If you go the 380 route,get the 6.385 rod and the KB Icon piston[Show Cars pn 7815p plus oversize].This piston/rod/head will get you to right at 10-1.On the 333 head,install 2.06 intake,1.72 exhaust valves,bowl blend and clean up,port match,top it off with the 3-2's,and stuff in an 0953 cam,and HANG ON!!!!!!!!!!!!:chopper2: As far as the guessing about the C/R,figure about .3 compression drop between the 1147,,817 car heads and the 333 head.

Last edited:

MacsW33

That piston is advertised 348 4” STROKE 6.135 ROD FORGED PISTONS WITH PINS. I am assuming the extra rod length makes up the difference of the 3.5 stroke without busting out my calculator. Need to find a 409 crank now:D

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
That's exactly right,and that's why I recommend this set up.These pistons are about 200 per set cheaper than the standard Ross,400 if you get Ross's "maximum weight reduction" treatment that's needed to get them down to what the I cons weigh.Which side of the engine is your dipstick located?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Great,that means that you have the same basic thing as what came on the 409 car engines.The above mentioned "kit" will drop in,no issues at all.Post an add in the parts wanted section of this forum,cranks for the 09 are not hard to come by,nor are they expensive.

MacsW33

Took the little hot rod to the Drag strip yesterday. Glad I didn't line up against any Honda's. Cause I would of been embarrassed haha. I did baby it. The 4 speed is making a little noise and I did not want to bust it(have a spare going to swap it). 64 mph in the 1/8th ha! Hopefully the rebuild makes it more respectful!