409 stock rod strength

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Well, the rods weren't as old when I started building W's. I didn't have as much money back then either. In all the years I've not seen a stock 409 rod break. Spun bearings, dropped valves, broken piston skirts but no broken rods. Has anyone here had a broken rod?
I think Shan can testify about this after his disaster at BG last year.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Don if you watch Shan's run in the video we got, something when wrong on that run, you can see and hear it on the launch.
Makes me wonder if he had a ignition intermittent problem that could have maybe caused a hydro lock. :dunno2

Ray I was about to ask the same question, most of the pictures I have seen of carnage has been with a valve stuck in the top of the piston generally still hooked to a good rod.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I think Shan can testify about this after his disaster at BG last year.
More than likely a spun bearing. That could break a rod but then it was the spun bearing that caused the rod (if it broke) to break. Could have been a wrist pin also. All I'm saying is I haven't seen a broken rod yet.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think the stock rod with good bolts for a stock 409/425 build or a little hotter would be just fine. A set of cheap aftermarket rods should be resized anyway since they are never round once you torque them a couple times.

agentorange

I broke a 348 rod in the early 60's in a 280 hp in a 58 Chev. I also broke a rod in a 425 horse in a 63 Super Sport. Probably the rear gear of a 4.56 and after I broke that rear end I put in a 4.88. Both cars were daily drivers and I drove the snot out of both cars. So I have first hand knowledge that they can break.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
If you look at even a stock 3/8 bolt BBC rod you can see they beefed them up.

By the time you buy good new bolts, then resize the big end(mandatory with new bolts) you do end up getting close to the price of newer stronger rods.