Chrome reverse wheels source??

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
Where is the best place to buy chrome reverse steel wheels?
Anyone bought any lately?
Wheel vintiques?

Not the chrome smoothie wheels, they're ugly and don't fit the vintage look.

Thanks.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I have an original set or four but they need to be replated and i dont know anyone who can do that.

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
I was looking more for a source for 15x8 with like 3" back space, 5" to the outside.
The rear I'm using is 1" narrower per side than the original.
Right now this is all a guess and speculation until I get the rear installed and do some actual measuring for certain.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The wheel vintiques oem ones are pretty nice. Might have wrong BS for you, however.

Junky

Well Known Member
If they aren't rusted badly, they can be re-chromed, but it will be expensive, because of the time it takes to polish them. If they are pitted, they have to be copper plated, polished, and copper plated again, until there is a pit free surface. All of this is hand labor intensive. Once there is a high luster pit free copper coating on the wheels, they then can add the nickel plating, and then the chrome. Many chrome shops don't want to get involved with doing this type of a job, because there is no way to give an accurate estimate of cost. It is all time and materials, that can't be ball parked in advance, unlike bumpers, which they have experience with.

62BillT

Well Known Member
My favorite wheel.

Last place I can remember that had Chevrolet Chrome Reverse Wheels was at Stockton. They were called Graffiti Wheels. I know they weren't cheap, but remember looking pretty close, if not exact to the originals.

Now, unless something has changed, many outfits have told me that they cannot Re-Chrome Wheels the way they were originally Chromed. That being as I was told, that they were Chromed separately, then expertly welded together. They said that they cannot get at them good enough to do a sufficient job with them assembled.

Last I checked the Vintique Wheels were not satisfactory enough and I also believe they were "universals" that fit both Ford and Chevy alike.

Now I'm saying all this without doing any updated research, so tell me if I'm wrong, lol.

62BillT

Well Known Member
OK, I just checked Stockton and got reminded that they are now called Milner Wheels - 32 Series.

You can see them here in the link, but they just have a small picture of them. I tried to find a larger picture online, but so far no luck. They do look good though, even in the small picture.

Not real sure if these are just Chevrolet only, but a phone call to them would verify it either way.

http://www.stocktonwheel.com/smoothie.html

(Scroll down to see the Milner)

Last edited:

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Not sure what universal means here (the Vintiques) . They have to be ordered by size and lug pattern, and they have a lot more BS than you need/want anyway. As I said they are more than satisfactory for a driver in my book.

Stockton is also right up the road, haven't dealt with them in a long time. Paulsen shows some OE wheels also, but I expect they may be reselling the Vintiques. I just don't think anyone around here is making and selling their own chrome wheels.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Stockton and Paulsen will make you pretty much whatever you want/need if it's possible, but it's usually painted, raw or maybe powder coated. There just aren't nearly as many chrome shops any more, it's pretty tough in CA I guess. I've heard of items round-tripped to Mexico and elsewhere, but I don't know that for a fact. I do see where Summit, Jeg's, Speedway all resell Vintiques as an option.

montemike79

Well Known Member
If you go on wheel vintiques website they will custom make backspace and reverse wheels. I don't know how great they are, compared to originals, but they will make a true reverse.
https://www.wheelvintiques.com/backspacing

I did buy a pair of off the shelf wheel vintiques non reverse chrome steel wheels for my Nova and they look nice.
DSCN3387 resize.jpg
I also think your 8 in wheel with 3" backspace with a 1" per side narrowed rear will be perfect. That is what I was planning with my '62. I tried a pair of 15x8 wheels I had with 3.5 backspace with 28x9 slicks on them on my '62 with a stock rear and they fit, but were tight.

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
If you go on wheel vintiques website they will custom make backspace and reverse wheels. I don't know how great they are, compared to originals, but they will make a true reverse.
https://www.wheelvintiques.com/backspacing

I did buy a pair of off the shelf wheel vintiques non reverse chrome steel wheels for my Nova and they look nice.
View attachment 70054
I also think your 8 in wheel with 3" backspace with a 1" per side narrowed rear will be perfect. That is what I was planning with my '62. I tried a pair of 15x8 wheels I had with 3.5 backspace with 28x9 slicks on them on my '62 with a stock rear and they fit, but were tight.
Wow, Nova looks great!!!
That is the exact wheel and tire combo I want on our 63.
Thanks for the info.......everyone.