409 Questions

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I've run into a few situations with Holley carbs and pump gas[now with ethonal] that going up about 2 jet sizes fixed a simular issue.My concern would stem from the air leak in the rear carb's mixture[lean at that point] might just be your culprit.

409acoupe

I've run into a few situations with Holley carbs and pump gas[now with ethonal] that going up about 2 jet sizes fixed a simular issue.My concern would stem from the air leak in the rear carb's mixture[lean at that point] might just be your culprit.
Yes i don't want to go swapping a bunch or stuff or making changes until i seal up the carbs for good. I did bump up the psi from 3 to 4. We can get 94 octane from chevron here that has zero ethanol so that's what i run in both the camaro and now the coupe. costs 7 million dollars a gallon but hey you can't take it with you!!! ha ha

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Again been a long time since i've been on. Not enough hours in the day. Cars finished on the road etc. Now that it's insured and spring is here i have been doing some short shake down drives and of course chasing a few gremlins. One being the outboard carbs on the tri power. I fully rebuilt the carbs with speedway's tri power base kit with progressive linkage and the issue i have run into is the fitment of the throttle blades in the bases. one of the bases is fine but the other the blades fit like crap bleeding air and making the center carb non tune-able. They are supposed to be lapped and fit air tight but needless to say this one base isn't even close. The bores seem fine, it's the blades themselves. Reached out to speedway and sent them pics and a week later zero response sad to say. So i have been sanding and test fitting over and over until i think i have them pretty darn good. Will be testing this weekend when i have time. In the meantime i also spoke with vintage speed who also makes base kits and sells just the bases themselves. They say they assemble and fit the units so the blades are perfect when they ship out. If i can't get mine right then i'll pull the trigger on replacements from them. shitty that i have to do that after spending good money on the speedway ones. I hadn't heard of vintage before i ordered speedway otherwise i would have definitely gone that route!
everything else on the coupe is great. no leaks, goes down the road straight, brakes work as well as drum brakes ever work. ha ha been a fun build. Looking forward to getting miles on her once i get the carbs sorted. View attachment 69907
View attachment 69909

I absolutely love your hot rod .........that’s bad ass..!!!!!!.......The color .....the wheels...... the power plant .......your spot on.....!!!!!

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
funny you say that. The three times i have driven the A this spring i have been accosted every time!! ha ha. The camaro gets lots of looks especially when i fire it up. (motor is a 500hp 383 with a big cam) but yes I think the A will get a lot of attention. especially being that traditional build, no fenders/hood and the 409 sitting there for all to see. I just don't want the unwanted attention with people that don't understand the look don't touch rule!!

Camaro...Shamaro, who cares!!!!!!........( just kidding beautiful car )...... i’ve never been interested in main stream hot rods ..... Camaros and mustangs the tri-5’s...... shit everyone builds ...... it’s all you ever see in the rags ........The model A rocks.......

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
What are the carbs jetted now? As far as the pump shot, I drilled my cluster out for more volume because of Bogg when I dumped the throttle. I can walk you through that procedure. Also there is a power valve in the center carb, spring loaded, vacuum actuated, make sure you have enough vacuum to keep that closed at idle and light cruise conditions. The spring in the accelerator pump can be manipulated to customize the pump shot. Pay attention to that. As for the throttle blades not sealing your on the right track. I had to use the DAG on my Pontiac GTO trips, worked very good.

409acoupe

I absolutely love your hot rod .........that’s bad ass..!!!!!!.......The color .....the wheels...... the power plant .......your spot on.....!!!!!
Thanks man. An almost three year build (work, family, budget) but i'm happy with the outcome for sure. had a clear vision in my head and had done a ton of homework before and during the build. Have a build thread on the HAMB site which has been a great resource for this early stuff.

409acoupe

What are the carbs jetted now? As far as the pump shot, I drilled my cluster out for more volume because of Bogg when I dumped the throttle. I can walk you through that procedure. Also there is a power valve in the center carb, spring loaded, vacuum actuated, make sure you have enough vacuum to keep that closed at idle and light cruise conditions. The spring in the accelerator pump can be manipulated to customize the pump shot. Pay attention to that. As for the throttle blades not sealing your on the right track. I had to use the DAG on my Pontiac GTO trips, worked very good.
All good info, thanks man. I have read and heard of everything you are saying and i might definitely pick your brain if needed. The secondary carbs are 55's for jets. I can't quite remember what the primary is as i rebuilt them a while ago. Gonna pull it off and check when i do the bases on the sec's. Like i said it's not really a bog, it's just not clean for the first second you get on the throttle then it clears right up and goes. My instincts say it's the whole set up off idle with the sec's messing things up like it's a little too lean with the air bleeds. Will get it solved i know. Appreciate the offer to help, that's what the hobby is all about to me!!

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The 55 jets are waaaay to lean. The stock jets are from .061 to.063. I ran .061 front to rear with no issues. My suggestion to you is front and rear carbs .060 and the center carb .061. The stock jetting was, with the turbo glide tranny, front .060, Center .060 and rear, .061. With the standard tranny, front, .060, Center .063 and rear .061.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Yup, what Dream’n said. It’s the perfect hot rod. Thank you for not choppin’ It. You’re one of the few who don’t. It looks perfect with the stock greenhouse.

As far as your fuel issues, I would highly recommend a wide band a/f meter. That is by far the best mod I’ve ever made to a carbureted, street/strip car. I have the auto meter one, analog with a full sweep. Weld a bung in one collector, 12 volts to the gauge and you’re in business. I have mine in the glovebox to conceal it. It’ll help you pinpoint every throttle position and you can get a car tuned razor sharp. My 61 gets 15-16 mpg on the highway because of that gauge. 10.75:1, dual quads, no overdrive, and 3.70 rear. 3900# with me in it.

409acoupe

Can you block off the rear carburetor and try it?
What do the spark plugs look like?
Is the advance in the distributor working correct?
i can block the carbs off but i have the new bases arriving start of next week so i'll just do the swap (as long as the blades are set right) and go from there. Plugs look good, not perfect but it's been a lot of little in town driving and garage tuning so they always blacken up like that. advance is working correct. Dizzy is a new pertronix stock look unit

409acoupe

The 55 jets are waaaay to lean. The stock jets are from .061 to.063. I ran .061 front to rear with no issues. My suggestion to you is front and rear carbs .060 and the center carb .061. The stock jetting was, with the turbo glide tranny, front .060, Center .060 and rear, .061. With the standard tranny, front, .060, Center .063 and rear .061.
good to know. I'll play with them and jet it up and see what happens

409acoupe

Yup, what Dream’n said. It’s the perfect hot rod. Thank you for not choppin’ It. You’re one of the few who don’t. It looks perfect with the stock greenhouse.

As far as your fuel issues, I would highly recommend a wide band a/f meter. That is by far the best mod I’ve ever made to a carbureted, street/strip car. I have the auto meter one, analog with a full sweep. Weld a bung in one collector, 12 volts to the gauge and you’re in business. I have mine in the glovebox to conceal it. It’ll help you pinpoint every throttle position and you can get a car tuned razor sharp. My 61 gets 15-16 mpg on the highway because of that gauge. 10.75:1, dual quads, no overdrive, and 3.70 rear. 3900# with me in it.
ha thanks man, i've been preparing myself for all the guys who DON'T have cars saying you shoulda chopped it! :thumbdown and all the guys who will just assume it's a 348 with the tri power being on there. I did and have thought about an AF meter. I have tried to keep the interior as ultra clean as possible. All switches are hidden and it's just bare bones for guages so i was struggling with where to put it. no glove box option so would have to be perhaps tucked under the dash. Been pretty decent at tuning carbs like my QFT on my Camaro but of course you are never gonna get it as deadly vs an AF guage. The old school in me says no, the intelligence in me say why not make life easier. I'm also one of those guys who stares at guages too much so i don't really want to add another viewing option to the mix! ha ha We shall see

IMG_6810.jpg
IMG_7978.jpg

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm with Kevin! I would definitely have an air-fuel gauge on that engine.You could switch it between both cars.You may THINK that the Camero's "right on",but you just can't be sure without checking.Plug readings at WOT aren't hard to figure out,but when you spend 99 percent of your time at a part throttle cruise,it gets trickier.Tuning for the best part throttle usually results in longer engine life.

409acoupe

Why is everyone pressuring me?! :D:D It’s true. My friends who own a body shop in town who did the paint on my coupe just bought an AF tester system I’m gonna weld in a bung and we will do some tuning once I get these bases replaced. Then I’ll just plug the bung afterwords. Don’t tell anyone though, can’t admit to o2 sensing on a traditional hot rod!! Ha ha