PERPLEXED

tsegnit

Have 1963 BelAir, 4 door sedan. Replaced both rear doors with spotless donors. Body shop went to install new door gaskets and made the discovery that the top half of doors have the correct holes for the plasticic pins to go into; the bottom half of doors have larger holes. The original doors had the same size holes all the way around.

Called some distributors and they had no clue. Could these donor doors be from a different US factory, Canadian or manufactured somewhere else on the planet? As an FYI, my car was manufactured in Tarrytown, NY.

Please help...inquiring minds want to know.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1942.JPG
    IMG_1942.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 23

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
1961, 1962 Chevy’s doors all had the larger holes in the bottom of the doors that take the plastic plugs like Nate
( nana1962409) posted.
1963’s and maybe 64’s had the same larger lower door holes that used the plastic door plugs

Your body shop guys should have noticed the original plastic pins in your doors, they have to be hit with something to knock the original door pin plugs out of the doors.

I remove the lower door larger old original plastic plugs in my 62 doors and “replace them with new plugs”. Some of the plugs get removed, knocked out by body work, paint prep or removing the original door weatherstrip.

All original door weatherstrip used metal pins in the weatherstrip - these metal pins fit the door holes and the door plugs. - reproduction door weatherstrip with the white plastic ribbed pins is not easy to push into the doors so they are correctly seated in the door holes & door plugs.

These lower door plastic door plugs need to be installed in the doors with a wide flat headed hammer to get them to seat in the factory holes in the doors ( don’t damage your new paint).
I would install new door plugs, after the car is painted so the new paint does not fill the plastic pin holes in the new plugs (or the weatherstrip plastic pins may not fit the new door plugs).

Paul