Bob the fix it guy...

bobs409

Administrator
I'm on a roll today. I fixed 3 small engine devices today. (with 0 experience in them) I'm making small engines GREAT again! :D

First was a Craftsman weed wacker that would start and idle fine but you could hardly get it to rev up! Turns out the air/fuel mixture screws must have vibrated themselves closed over time. One outward turn and this thing revs great again!! I'll be putting some dum dum or something to keep them from turning again.

Second was a 1500 watt portable generator. It was leaking gas from the carb. First look showed a cracked fuel line hose (could it be that simple?) so I replaced that and it was running for a bit but then started to drip fuel again. I then took the carb off and checked the float, needle and seat. It must have been jarred or something not allowing it to shut off. Put it back together and it sat there running great again! (smallest carb I ever worked on!)

Third was my dads lawnmower was running way too fast. Pulling it apart I found NO adjustment screws or any visible way of turning it down so I consulted my good friend youtube and learned all you need to do is bend a metal bracket the spring is on. One way increases the idle, and the other lowers it. FIXED! (I later learned my dad hit something that must have caused that to bend out of position, that's when it started to run too high)

I'm out of things to fix. :wax

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm on a roll today. I fixed 3 small engine devices today. (with 0 experience in them) I'm making small engines GREAT again! :D

First was a Craftsman weed wacker that would start and idle fine but you could hardly get it to rev up! Turns out the air/fuel mixture screws must have vibrated themselves closed over time. One outward turn and this thing revs great again!! I'll be putting some dum dum or something to keep them from turning again.

Second was a 1500 watt portable generator. It was leaking gas from the carb. First look showed a cracked fuel line hose (could it be that simple?) so I replaced that and it was running for a bit but then started to drip fuel again. I then took the carb off and checked the float, needle and seat. It must have been jarred or something not allowing it to shut off. Put it back together and it sat there running great again! (smallest carb I ever worked on!)

Third was my dads lawnmower was running way too fast. Pulling it apart I found NO adjustment screws or any visible way of turning it down so I consulted my good friend youtube and learned all you need to do is bend a metal bracket the spring is on. One way increases the idle, and the other lowers it. FIXED! (I later learned my dad hit something that must have caused that to bend out of position, that's when it started to run too high)

I'm out of things to fix. :wax
You ought to mow the grass, you are younger!!!:D

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I try, not to use our push mower, but there's places, the rider can't fit.:rolleyes Anyway, when I mow, under our Christmas Tree, I always hit something under there. :doh Don't know if it's a root, or another small tree. After I pull the mower back out, it starts idling R-r-r-r-r* R-r-r-r-r* R-r-r-r-r* R-r-r-r-r, and attempts to stall. It's either the bracket, like you sais Bob, or the puny little spring. :bang Just another PITA.