63 Poncho Bonneville

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I always found it odd that the various valuation tools (e.g., Hagerty etal) show the 1961 Pontiacs in which the Bonneville trumps the Ventura and also the Catalina while in reality the Ventura seems to be top dog, along with the Cat. Is it wheelbase or some other perception?

I recall Arnie Beswick, who had some six (6) 1961 Pontiac race cars awaiting his arrival across the country, mentioned that the one in Atlanta was a Bonneville as opposed to the smaller lighter wheelbase carsat the other venues :).

Cheers! TomK

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I didnt realize Arnie had those cars stationed across the country but I guess it makes sence. I sure didnt know he ever raced a Bonneville, never seen any photos of it
Another subject, for many years my search for the elusive Pontiac part number that was supposedly asigned to the Ford truck hood scoops has come up empty, I have reached the conclusion that its an old wives tale.
When we were in Great Bend I asked Hayden and he said he had no knowledge of it. I was supprised at this because I thought he was involved in the so called protest of the scoop.
Anyway, fast forward to this summer and we were at the Pontiac Convention and I talked to Arnie about it and he said no question about it, Pontiac did issue a number and he thought he had it. He said he would try to have the number for me at the Pontiac Nationals in Norwalk this past weekend but then he had the fire at his place last weekend and I didnt bring it up So, I still dont have it.