Cam selection

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You out to try filling out the form on the Bulet Cam website. It asks about engine, cylinder bore, stroke transmission, intended use, vehicle weight, rear gear, 1/4 mile goal, nitrous, forced induction, etc.
They'll give a recommendation but the nice thing is, doing all electronically, there is no pressure.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What Don said, pick up the phone and talk directly to the tech line guys, tell them what you want. Comp Cam did two roller cams for the W's for me a few months ago. Good service, beautiful work, no problems.
Ive mentioned on here before that when i spoke to the comp techs they didn't have any useful information for me. I wanted springs for their cam and they gave me a choice of 3 because nothing they had specifically matched the cam they made. Dah! Took my cam card into my motor shop and they had the spring spec I needed. Nothing special but it's important to have parts matched up so they work together.

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Ive mentioned on here before that when i spoke to the comp techs they didn't have any useful information for me. I wanted springs for their cam and they gave me a choice of 3 because nothing they had specifically matched the cam they made. Dah! Took my cam card into my motor shop and they had the spring spec I needed. Nothing special but it's important to have parts matched up so they work together.
Try Lunati or Bullet. Yeah , your right some of of tech guys know nothing more than what their computer screen tells them.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
just went through this. email to howards and comp. Howards was 255/261 654/647 comp was 236/242 .639 /.646
called bullet - very nice to deal with -speced while on the phone 257/263 .65/.68
I think specs are all over no mater what. YOU the owner has to know what the intended purpose is and realize you won't know the difference in 20 hp and 300 rpm "by the seat of the pants " If you have never been to 6000 rpm you you don't need a big cam.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Scott, for a 348??? check the valve to piston (cylinder wall) on that. If I recall correctly that will be marginal. I ran a similar solid in a 348 but had to have less lift.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes a little notching of the block may be necessary.If it's a 348 using 9.5 pistons[cast],valve notches for the intake valve will be necessary as well.

Gus68

Well Known Member
Ok. So it's been awhile, but I wanted to let you guys know what I came up with. So made a couple calls to bullet and ended up with a custom ground hydraulic flat tappet cam. .242 int. And .248 each at 50. .548 int. And .546 exh. For lift. And 109 lobe seperation. Yes, bullet is GREAT to deal with. And as a refresher, my car is a 62 bel air. Muncie m20, with 3.70 9inch. The car has a heater and that's it for options. So no vacuum accessories needed. Even manual front disk breaks. The 409 has been bored .030 has 10 to 1 comp. Ross pistons, show cars 409 aftermarket cap screw rods. And 333 heads that have been ported, bigger valves, surfaced and matching springs. I still need to get an intake. But planning on the new edelbrock single 4 intake for the small port heads and 750 carb. And haven't come up with headers either. So I don't have any results yet. But when I do, i will keep you posted.