Exhaust manifold gaskets - yes or no?

55Brodie

Well Known Member
I'm preparing to ditch my crappy headers for manifolds (thanks Tooth) and am thinking I will skip the gaskets but use the French locks. Good idea or not?

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm waiting to see the answers on this one. I just can't imagine not having exhaust gaskets of some type. Wouldn't you get alot of blowby?? One time with my blown '57, I thought I heard a valve ticking. Was almost positive that was the noise. Took off the valve cover, made the adjustment and nothing happened. Come to find out, it was a header gasket that was partially blown. Can't even imagine the noise the engine might make, Carmine.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
I use the copper permatex for exhaust. Use a THIN coating around the inside edges of the exhaust manifolds then draw them up to the heads but do not tighten them. Let them sit overnight THEN torque em down. Jerry McNeish uses the same procedure if you have him reskin your exhaust manifolds.13975377_1149320515111123_8861073621314402530_o.jpg

neilswheels

Well Known Member
Slight bump, so I’ve made headers, not using the factory cast ones, gaskets or no gaskets? I can see it working without on stock cast manifolds with cast heads, but would headers expand/contract too much compared to make the ‘no gasket’ setup seal?