Traveling with money

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. Would anyone happen to know where that thread is in re. to travelling with alot of cash and the police could take it from you?? I looked, but I can't find it. I might be buying a car soon and will be travelling with alot of cash. At least I think he'll want cash. I want to make sure I understand this issue. I don't want to lose my money or have to fight to get it back. From what little I recall from that thread, I still can't believe they can do that without reasonable suspicion or probable cause. Thanks, Carmine.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hi everyone. Would anyone happen to know where that thread is in re. to travelling with alot of cash and the police could take it from you?? I looked, but I can't find it. I might be buying a car soon and will be travelling with alot of cash. At least I think he'll want cash. I want to make sure I understand this issue. I don't want to lose my money or have to fight to get it back. From what little I recall from that thread, I still can't believe they can do that without reasonable suspicion or probable cause. Thanks, Carmine.
Not sure why you think the police will just take your cash. They are waiting for you to come back with the car. Dah.
"Civil forfeiture laws allow the government to take cash, cars, homes and other property suspected of being involved in criminal activity. Unlike criminal forfeiture, with civil forfeiture, the property owner doesn't have to be charged with, let alone convicted of, a crime to permanently lose his property."
I posted the general legal definition just in case you needed a refresher on it. They will wait for you to come back with the trailer full and take the truck, trailer and car. Yes you are responsible for finding your own way home. All perfectly legal in some states, counties and cities. Good luck! After being a federal law clerk for 5 years I have seen it all and there isn't much you can do about it if it happens to you and the courts are letting the police departments take what they want so they can pay for the fancy equipment they want. Our local department just paid $500,000 for body cameras paid for by funds gathered through civil forfeiture. GOOD TIMES!

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Carmine, explain to the seller your predicament and see what he will accept. I would mention wire transfer but some banks only transfer at certain times during the day, not instantly.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Not sure why you think the police will just take your cash. They are waiting for you to come back with the car. Dah.
"Civil forfeiture laws allow the government to take cash, cars, homes and other property suspected of being involved in criminal activity. Unlike criminal forfeiture, with civil forfeiture, the property owner doesn't have to be charged with, let alone convicted of, a crime to permanently lose his property."
I posted the general legal definition just in case you needed a refresher on it. They will wait for you to come back with the trailer full and take the truck, trailer and car. Yes you are responsible for finding your own way home. All perfectly legal in some states, counties and cities. Good luck! After being a federal law clerk for 5 years I have seen it all and there isn't much you can do about it if it happens to you and the courts are letting the police departments take what they want so they can pay for the fancy equipment they want. Our local department just paid $500,000 for body cameras paid for by funds gathered through civil forfeiture. GOOD TIMES!

So where is this reasonable ground or probable cause in relationship to them thinking that the cash I have is suspect of being involved in criminal activity? Where? They take the money just like that?? Fabricate something. Doesn't sound right. And me driving back from Boston, minding my own business, they take for no legitimate reason, my truck, car and trailer?? Where did you get that from?? Case law someplace?? This is suppose to be America. The 3rd Reich was dissolved years ago, dah yourself, Carmine.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Most cops will tell you that you cannot drive or walk 50 feet without breaking the law. They can just make something up. They don't really need an excuse. I have seen this before where money is taken, and years later they get some of it back if the person is 100% legit in all ways. However they never get it all back and the money is tied up for years because they will NEVER admit they made a mistake. Now with that said, I used to carry between 10 and 20k often. I never had any problems because I was never searched. I had been stopped, not searched. I think your average citizen is reasonably safe. As long as you don't give them the signs that you are doing something like drinking, have drugs in the vehicle, possible trafficking ( remember Eastwood in the Mule ) chances are you will be fine.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So where is this reasonable ground or probable cause in relationship to them thinking that the cash I have is suspect of being involved in criminal activity? Where? They take the money just like that?? Fabricate something. Doesn't sound right. And me driving back from Boston, minding my own business, they take for no legitimate reason, my truck, car and trailer?? Where did you get that from?? Case law someplace?? This is suppose to be America. The 3rd Reich was dissolved years ago, dah yourself, Carmine.
Sarcastic Dah, not directed at you but the situation. Unfortunately this has gone all the way to the highest courts. Not sure how many cases you want me to sight but the fact remains that the courts have seen it as a part of business. Its stupid for sure but it all boils down to why I got out of law. Discretion! Everyone in power has the DISCRETION to do as they see fit. Wait a few years and Artificial intelligence will open a whole slew of problems with the courts discretion because the system we have today doesn't follow logic it follows discretion.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I remember hearing anything over 10,000 across state lines could cause trouble.

I think I have heard something like that but cannot be sure. If it is true, and I am not doubting it, what kind of country do we live in that we cannot take the legal tender in all US 50 states from one state where it is legal, to another state where it is legal?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My classic car dealership does these kinds of deals daily. Do the bank transfer deal. Take the physical car with a bill of sail and stating that once funds pass in the bank that the title will be sent over night. We do 250 cars a year this way because the banks are slow yet we want that car now. Paper work can wait but having the car is the important part. The vast majority of sellers feel good about keeping the title in their hands until the money passes.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The thread you're looking for was posted on that 55/57 site, I think
Cops can take your money IF they happen to pull you over. So don't look suspicious, Oh, that's right you're Italian
Don't let people know you're traveling with lots of cash, like post it on the internet for all to see.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
They can take your cash without probable cause, you won't get it back. You have to sue them and an attorney will cost 10's of thousands and if you win they are exempt from having to pay your legal fees so you out that regardless of outcome.
I never worry about it when I go buy a car but then I don't travel long distances because we have millions of cars within 30 miles plus I'm not Italian or Somalian

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
My classic car dealership does these kinds of deals daily. Do the bank transfer deal. Take the physical car with a bill of sail and stating that once funds pass in the bank that the title will be sent over night. We do 250 cars a year this way because the banks are slow yet we want that car now. Paper work can wait but having the car is the important part. The vast majority of sellers feel good about keeping the title in their hands until the money passes.
When you say a bank transfer, are you talking about a bank to bank wire transfer??

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cops can take your money IF they happen to pull you over. So don't look suspicious, Oh, that's right you're Italian
Don't let people know you're traveling with lots of cash, like post it on the internet for all to see.

If we are going there, wouldn't he most likely have a body in the trunk than cash or drugs to worry about :taunt

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15

:laugh2:roll:mock