Priming a rebuilt 348

I've rebuilt several sbs and bbs, and used my priming tool and a drill. When I tried priming my fresh rebuilt 348 I only get oil coming from the rocker arm, pushrod holes on the left side. Is there a priming tool just for the 348s and 409s? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Get the right tool,rotate the engine some while priming,if no oil comes up at that time it's most likely the rear cam bearing that's either installed incorrectly or the wrong bearing was used.

Last edited:
Thank you so much I'll give Showcars a call on Monday. The motor is still on the engine stand, and I haven't installed the intake.The cam bearing where installed by a local speed shop that's been in business 50+ years.

409Inmyblood

I've seen that problem before and rotated the distributor and turned the motor over and made it work, when I know that the rear bearing was right. Phil's point was well made cause that is often a problem when inexperienced shops put those motors together. Glad the tool worked. My old cut off distributer shaft works fine also!