Evolution 15 inch cold cut Chop Saw (EVOSAW380)

bobs409

Administrator
saw.jpg

Evolution STEELSAW2 RAPTOR - EVOSAW380 - 15" Chop Saw

MPN: 37214
Model: EVOSAW380
Brand: EVOLUTION

It took me a while to convince myself that I needed one of these :D but I'm VERY glad I got one! It's awesome! While I haven't made a ton of cuts with it yet, I can tell it's going to last and give good service.

After searching the net going bleary eyed with reviews, I finally settled on this one and I have no regrets! It's a very decently priced unit and I believe worth the cost. (I paid $384.00 w/free shipping on ebay)

Pro's:
Great value for the money
Well built!
Cast aluminum base
Has fast action swivel vise
Not sure if it's a pro or a con but it's 55 pounds!!! (pro if it indicates the quality or con if you have to carry it long I guess) :D
Ready to use right out of the box! Even the fence was dead on 90 degrees.
3 year warranty (bad thing is, I don't believe it covers shipping it back to them and at 61 lbs packaged, that won't be cheap!)
Pull out chip tray (too bad a good portion of those metal chips go flying everywhere but the tray but it does catch a good bit of them)

Con's:
Blade is a bit out of plumb. It seems to be a common thing with this brand but a shim (cheap set of feeler gauges is a good source) between the base and upper unit fixes that.
Hot metal chips fly everywhere! (I guess they all do it?) For this reason, I have to use this outside of my garage so I don't damage my antique cars.
It's a 15 inch saw but comes with a 14 inch blade. (haven't figured out the reasoning behind this yet) It will accept a 15 inch blade though.

Technical Specifications:
Motor (120v ~ 60Hz): 1800W
Amps: 15
Horsepower: 2.4
RPM (No Load): 1450
Recommended Maximum Duty Cycle: 30mins
Sound Pressure Level (Under Load): 112.4dB(A)
Maximum Thickness Of Cut: 1/2”
Maximum Cut 90° (Square): 5” x 5”
Maximum Cut 90° (Rectangle): 3-3/4” x 7-7/8”
Maximum Cut 90° (Round): 5-7/8”
Maximum Cut 45° (Square): 3-1/2” x 3-1/2”
Maximum Cut 45° (Rectangle): 3” x 4-3/8”
Maximum Cut 45° (Round): 4-1/4”
Tool Weight: 55lbs
Tool Dimensions (H x W x L): 26” x 13-1/2” x 21”
Shipping Weight: 61lbs
Shipping Dimensions (H x W x L): 20” x 17” x 26”

To sum it up, I'm VERY happy with this tool! Will update this review if and/or when needed.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I have a Milwaukie circular steel saw that I really like it does fine job cutting metal. But I still would like to get a saw like this, I was going to cut a piece of 1/4 X1 inch thick steel bar stock with the Dewalt and I finally gave up and got the Milwaukie.

Mark

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
So how's your Evolution chop saw been treating you Bob you still like it?

Mark