Better tow vehicle, get rid of those heavy diesels and get a 68 Parisienne

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Speaks for itself. Probably easy to back up, without the trailer. This tow setup was used for years by the guy who owned the car and built the "trailer", used it to travel through the rockies. Car still in the same family.
The car would have had original drum brakes, engines were 327, 396, and 427's, not sure which this one has.
pontiac with trailer 2.jpgpontiac with trailer.jpg

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
My dad had something similar for a bumper hitch r/v, not a fifth wheel. He built it himself and used it behind a 61 Olds Dynamic 88 wagon and later behind a 69 Olds Delta 88. All the tongue weight was on this dolly where the car only pulled the trailer kinda like semi's pulling two (pups) trailers. It worked pretty good as he drug r/v trailers all over the country with that thing. I will try and find a picture of it to post sometime, good ol yankee ingenuity!

55Brodie

Well Known Member
That's a 68 Grande Parisienne. Not sure what model gave up its deck lid for the aero roof wing. The propane cylinder on the bogey rig is another great idea. I would bet there were no USA sight seeing decals on that beast.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I guess we’d have to find an approval sticker somewhere for it today?:D:D Just to make the DOT conversation interesting.
Times have changed, we used to drive really fast on tires with no speed rating back them too.

I've seen tractor trailer rigs in Manitoba using a similar dolly on trailers.