61 SS. Is it genuine?????

heddrik

Well Known Member
I wish I had you gentlemen's knowledge. Looked funny to me, did the true ones come with 3 deuces?

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Here is the serial number. Can’t get the trim tag to load.
The guy just bought it from a person that owns a trucking company in New Hampshire(?). Said it has power steering. Did not know anything about the engine, hydraulic or solids, photo of the front of the block did not show up.

977BA62D-35D7-427A-AF32-1A526C2C481D.jpeg

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Don, did you notice that it had one of those ignition boxes like James post what's in the box?
I'm new at this but my question is, "409 with three deuces?:dunno" I thought all 409 had a single or dual quad set up.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The base engine for the 61 SS was the 305 horse 348.Very few of these 61's had the 09.Yes your right,no 3-2's came thru from Chevy with the 409.That's the tach sender on the fender,not an ign.box.The engine line up for that car would have been 305 horse[single 4 bbl].340 horse[also single carb. ],350 horse[3-2] 348's,and the single carb.360 horse 409.Given that there were about 450 61 SS's made and only 145 or so 09's made in all 61's,the 09 would be very rare.

Last edited:

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Thanks to Pat for emailing the cowl tag photo to me. The tag is a reproduction so we'll never know if this car was an original SS, but its likely it wasn't. If it actually was an original SS, the owner cost himself about $50K by replacing the cowl tag.

Attachments

• IMG_1537.jpg
    IMG_1537.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 49

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
That build looks familiar. I recall some years back when the then forum moderator over at ChevyTalk sold his 1961SS clone, it was red on red with the tripower 348. Asked $35K if I remember correctly. The then owner made a point of stating that it was NOT a true SS.

I wonder if this was that car. See what happens when something changes hands and the provenance is erased? Kind of like "alternative facts" :).

Cheers! TomK