does anybody know this car

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
When you ask about matching cars......there are way more cars with the matching numbers engines but....the matching numbered 4-speed is very few.
The 62 Belair station wagon that I found in.Texas not only had it"s original engine but also the matching number 4'speed.
I bought my 63 Impala 400HP 4'speed on Jan. 25, 1965 with a 30 warranty. 10 days later the car was towed in the dealership with a massive hole in the side of the main case. "Mr. Reed, yes you have a 30 day warranty and we will fix your transmission......but you warranty had expired"!!!!!!!!!

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
When you ask about matching cars......there are way more cars with the matching numbers engines but....the matching numbered 4-speed is very few.
The 62 Belair station wagon that I found in.Texas not only had it"s original engine but also the matching number 4'speed.
I bought my 63 Impala 400HP 4'speed on Jan. 25, 1965 with a 30 warranty. 10 days later the car was towed in the dealership with a massive hole in the side of the main case. "Mr. Reed, yes you have a 30 day warranty and we will fix your transmission......but you warranty had expired"!!!!!!!!!
That has to be a real rare combination having a factory 4 speed in a wagon, as far as the transmissions not being right to the car I guess the T10's were the week link in 409 cars.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

What was that wagon with 4 speed that those folks at chevytalk were acting like it was the second coming of Jesus, wasn't that a 62 409 wagon with a 4 speed?

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I just hope someone picks this Biscayne up and enjoys the hell out of it. Old guys wont spend the money but hopefully some whipper snapper will see just how iconic this car is and springs for it. I would give my left nut for it. But thats not sayin much !

62BillT

Well Known Member
I guess if I was making the money some of the sports guys out there make, I wouldn't mind buying it.

But I don't, lol. So I'll be passing on it.

Sure is a nice car though.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
My photos of the car are on my old computer.
Sorry. It was a beauty!!!!!

AAh Phil you might be in luck. When you "presented" the 409 station wagon car to MacKenzie and I, I recall that several photos were taken so I'll look tomorrow in my old cars file. I really hope I or MacKenzie have a good photo of the special trailer hitch that was on the car. Back in 62 seems most race cars( including Strickler's) were towed by station wagons which I have a photo somewhere of a 62 Chevy Wagon towing the 1962 Ole Reliable.
Gosh Phil you might been in luck and that car could have been the tow vehicle for a nice 62 race 409 or heaven forbid used by a preacher to tow a fishing boat.
Robert

Last edited:

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I was talking with a former Sioux City IA dealership mechanic about warranty on 409 cars. At that dealership they would replace the original trans once with an aluminum case one. Break that one you got an iron case and you were on your own after that.