Harbor Freight changing...

bobs409

Administrator
For a while now, it seems the Harbor Freight stores are moving to the higher end products. I went in today and saw a tool box taller than I was! See it here: Icon Tool box

While I'm all for better products, I hope it's not the way the whole store will go. It's nice to get a deal on some lower valued items too like consumable things and stuff. After all, it's what got them this far!

They seem to be phasing out the 20% coupons on most things as well. It used to be that there were only a few names like Chicago Electric, Central Pneumatic, etc. Now I see names like Vulcan (all of the welding stuff now) and Daytona (jacks) Icon (toolboxes), Bauer, Hercules, etc. But if you look at the 20% coupons, they are NOT valid on these new names. Not just big things but even $10 dollar welding gloves. Everything. The days of Free items seems to be over too. All they offer for a long time now is the blue LED flashlight. Free items might be a thing of the past? Not that big of a deal, just mentioning it.

Time will tell how it goes I guess. I don't know about your stores but mine is very quiet lately. Not many cars in the lot or customers in the store...

55Brodie

Well Known Member
I just tried to buy a 7.5 kg generator from HF, but have up after 3 trips. Had the gen and battery but no wheel kit on trip 1. Trip 2, had gen and wheel kit, but no battery. Trip 3 they had wheel kit and battery but no gen. They get 1 weekly shipment. You cannot pay in advance and pick up the order complete. They will only hold parts in stock for 1 day.
Too hard to do business with so I bought a better unit from Tractor Supply. It would up being about $ 50 more; it is a dual fuel unit.

fourzeronine

Well Known Member
The exceptions on the 20% off coupons are really frustrating.

...You cannot pay in advance and pick up the order complete. They will only hold parts in stock for 1 day.

That doesn't jive with my experience on out of stock items. I had an expiring coupon for a Vulcan welder and was wanting the MigMax 215 model. Store was out of stock, so they put one on order for me. Paid that day and used my coupon. Once it arrived they held it until I could pick it up.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Those coupons aren't worth a crap. There only good on their junk and there only good for one item.

Mark

62BillT

Well Known Member
For a while now, it seems the Harbor Freight stores are moving to the higher end products. I went in today and saw a tool box taller than I was! See it here: Icon Tool box

While I'm all for better products, I hope it's not the way the whole store will go. It's nice to get a deal on some lower valued items too like consumable things and stuff. After all, it's what got them this far!

They seem to be phasing out the 20% coupons on most things as well. It used to be that there were only a few names like Chicago Electric, Central Pneumatic, etc. Now I see names like Vulcan (all of the welding stuff now) and Daytona (jacks) Icon (toolboxes), Bauer, Hercules, etc. But if you look at the 20% coupons, they are NOT valid on these new names. Not just big things but even $10 dollar welding gloves. Everything. The days of Free items seems to be over too. All they offer for a long time now is the blue LED flashlight. Free items might be a thing of the past? Not that big of a deal, just mentioning it.

Time will tell how it goes I guess. I don't know about your stores but mine is very quiet lately. Not many cars in the lot or customers in the store...

I've noticed the same thing lately. I went in to buy a new Cordless Sawsall and walked out with nothing. My old Chicago Electric works great, but they dis-continued the Batteries. I made the mistake of not buying another with the Saw to have 2 of them (also have a Cordless Drill). I prefer Electric but use the Cordless when I'm not near any power. For less than 10 times per year, the 'ol Chicago works great, except on a bigger job where you want to charge one while using the other, thus the Battery problem.

Same thing with Floor Jacks. Went to buy another Pittsburgh 3-Ton and there weren't any. Replaced by a more expensive brand. Walked out with nothing again, lol.

Also noticed the longer list on the 20% off coupons.

And noticed my store a little quiet too. Around Christmas time to boot.

That said, I still like the place, but as you say, time will tell where it goes.

bobs409

Administrator
I went in to buy a new Cordless Sawsall and walked out with nothing. My old Chicago Electric works great, but they dis-continued the Batteries. I made the mistake of not buying another with the Saw to have 2 of them (also have a Cordless Drill)

Don't give up hope yet! I too had an older battery powered sawzall and the battery no longer available. I simply bought the new version of battery, opened the cases and swapped in the new battery's. I don't know ANYTHING about those lithium type but the normal 18 volt type are nothing more than a bunch of C cell batteries all wired together! (12 I think) :D

I guess another method would be to buy rechargeable batteries that match what yours has and wire them all together yourself.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Don't give up hope yet! I too had an older battery powered sawzall and the battery no longer available. I simply bought the new version of battery, opened the cases and swapped in the new battery's. I don't know ANYTHING about those lithium type but the normal 18 volt type are nothing more than a bunch of C cell batteries all wired together! (12 I think) :D

I guess another method would be to buy rechargeable batteries that match what yours has and wire them all together yourself.

There's a method I saw on Utube using a welder to jump start these batteries turned down to the lowest setting then you put it on the batteries charger but I never had the guts to try it. And I don't remember who told me this one but you can use a 9 volt battery to jump them ,this I did try and it did not work.

Mark

bobs409

Administrator
I think I saw that video listed but didn't watch it yet. I think it's titled "never buy a new battery again" or something.

Give it a try Mark and let us know the results. :shock2:eek3 :mock

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Went into Sears in Hawaii when we were there
Basically to show my brother who has never been to the USA
Man was i disappointed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The selection in the tools are was crap and half the shelves were empty

Also seemed like the pricing was a lot more than i remember

But then again i guess the cost to get anything to Hawaii is massive so costs go up

Steve

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Sears had been on the decline since the late 70's based on my experiances. The last time that I was even in one was in 2002.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Besides bad management, they hired foreigners, that didn't know $hit. All they cared about, was the stupid Shop Your Way Rewards Card.:doh

Sears still sends me Shop your Way e-mails Skip. The last Chinese tools I bought at Sears were of the quality of Harbor Freak or slightly below.

Mark