Roller tip rockers

catdoctor

Well Known Member
Hey folks, I have interest to replace my 348 stock rockers with show cars roller tip rocker. Cam is a mild cam with .481 lift on both exhaust and intake with 285lbs open pressure.
Heads already have screw in studs. Push rods are a crane set but didn’t realize the intakes are .028 and exhaust are .010 longer than stock. I didn't know if this would be an issue with the roller tip rocker. Question: would it be safe to use roller tip rockers in this situation and use no guide plates? Slots in head are stock and good condition. The engine will rarely see 5200-5500 rpm. Is this worth the effort and expense to do.

johnnyriviera

Well Known Member
I've always been told that roller tip rockers don't provide much real hp benefit due to most of the friction being in the pivot. It is my understanding that any increase is usually from the rocker being more "true" to the stated ratio. Factory rockers can vary greatly. I remember hearing stories of Super Stock racers sifting through many stamped rockers to get a "good set" that had the highest ratio.

Not trying to be a buzzkill, but most people I've talked to that used them felt they didn't get much bang for their buck.

I'm sure others will chime, and may have different experiences.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The best use for these little roller tip rockers is as a stock replacement,or as in your case a very mild cam upgrade that will have less than 350 lbs. of spring pressure .If you don't have a good set of original rockers,this would be the way to go since the stock replacement rockers are junk.As others have said these aren't for power,but personal experience has shown them to be very reliable,.If your stock GM rockers are in good shape ,I wouldn't waste the money.

catdoctor

Well Known Member
Thanks everyone for you input on the roller tip rocker. With no noticeable hp increase I think I’ll go with my good Chevy rocker.