Macs 348 Build!

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
High compression and big cam. Sounds like someone was swinging for the fences. Not a bad idea in a car with a 4spd clutch, gears and a desire to run at the track several times a year. My 434 stroker is getting the 0951 cam which should be plenty for a year or two. Had way to much fun this summer in the wagon with a bone stock 348 (added dual quads). In the end you never know what you will get until its built and you are driving it. Plans change!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
That 0953 will be a good choice for what you want,Mac.The 0950 cam will be too small for a 434,you'll need to go up about 2 sizes 1964 SuperStocker or it'll be a dog at higher rpm. Mac,if you use that Isky on a 434 you'll need GOOD heads and a gear of around 3.90-4.10 to get it to work well.

427John

Well Known Member
High compression and big cam. Sounds like someone was swinging for the fences. Not a bad idea in a car with a 4spd clutch, gears and a desire to run at the track several times a year. My 434 stroker is getting the 0951 cam which should be plenty for a year or two. Had way to much fun this summer in the wagon with a bone stock 348 (added dual quads). In the end you never know what you will get until its built and you are driving it. Plans change!
I'd say that cam in a 348" engine and small port heads was more like swinging for the moon.

MacsW33

I think the 333's will be fine. I need to stay with a small port head for the intake I have to run. I am okay to leave some power on the table. I am trying to achive that look of what would of been seen in those little hot rod pocket mags of the 50's and 60's.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If you're going to stay with 3 duces,fine,just cam the engine on the milder side.It'll still retain the "look" and still out perform anything that wold have been built "back in the day" any way you cut it.

427John

Well Known Member
Yeah I'm not trying to say you need to get away from the small port heads just get a more reasonable cam,I plan to use 333's on my stroker build but aiming for low and mid range power,due to to the heavy weight of my rig.The light weight of your car will allow you to run a little more aggressive cam but that solid roller is way out of line since your heads wont allow you take advantage of it.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That 0953 will be a good choice for what you want,Mac.The 0950 cam will be too small for a 434,you'll need to go up about 2 sizes 1964 SuperStocker or it'll be a dog at higher rpm. Mac,if you use that Isky on a 434 you'll need GOOD heads and a gear of around 3.90-4.10 to get it to work well.
Yep, the plan was get the girl running and then see where I want to go with the 434, could end up in my wagon as the little dual quad 348 just isn't going to cut it. I have enough parts to build several 348s and 409s so its a matter of determining whether I want to do anything more with this little 434 or build a 500+ cube engine because ultimately I want to drag race Crusher and beat Dave :poke. (I'm several years away from that.) :D I also have my 64 Conv. That could use an upgrade to a big block. The plan on this 434 was to keep it below 6000rpm anyway.

Last edited:

neilswheels

Well Known Member
Cool sedan, and didnt i see the coupe for sale in Insta or somewhere recently?
Lots of good info here. If its O.K with Don, i think illmessage you re a cam for my old boat, i'll dig out the numbers again, hope its not a 'double notch', what ever that is..

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Thank you for the response. Eventually I am going to upgrade the internals and stroke it. For now I just want to add a little cam. The season is too close right now to do a full build.
Have a look at my thread, although I'm probably way too late lol
http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/348-tri-power-build-gone-wrong-new-rebuild-under-way.44954/
There might be some good info there. @Don Jacks coached me through the rebuild. It had the wrong cam in it, amongst other things. It was a Thumpr. Anyways thought you'd enjoy the info. Mine is also a 348 using 333 heads in a 1937 Ford Pickup truck Hot Rod.
Cheers