409 into a 59 Apache

alaska gasser

Well Known Member
Very nice truck! Can't wait to fire mine for the first time. Did you bag yours or is that the static height. My '52 sits a little lower than that and I need to raise it some. If you check under my profile, I have a build thread if you're interested.

Clanier, how is your swap coming along?

unclebrad

Did you finish your 409 conversion? Got pics?
I just got a 409 and 700r4 into my truck,which was originally a 6 cyl truck. Still hooking things up and trying to make a '53-'54 bel aire automatic shifter to work. (Of course, the shifter business won't matter to you, since you are going with a manual-shift transmission.)
The previous owner put a 348 in it (which seems to have had some miles on it) and made up new mounts. He also, cut the crossmember out of the way.
Here's a pic of the empty engine bay, just in case a future 409er might like reference.
IMG_7015 cropped lo.jpg

donsz

Well Known Member
My 348 fit right to the 283 motor mounts. The 283 mounts were installed by me with a conversioncrossmember kit: http://www.classicpartsusa.com/prod...MI0pTXoaG56AIVl8JkCh0-5w94EAQYBSABEgJoL_D_BwE . The only real problem was the clearance between the exhaust header and steering box. I had to grind both a bit to make the fitment. Some people have moved the engine to obtain clearance. I'm making the assumption the 348 and 409 are basically dimensionally the same.
don