NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS !!

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
When I purchased the Z-11 engine from Phill, my intentions were to build it and put it in my green SS Impala. Plans changed for several reasons (mostly because I would never sell my blue 63 because it was so rotted). So the decision was made to build a tribute/clone to any one of the 5 Monaco Blue Z-11's from 63. After asking permission from Wally Bell to do a tribute build of the New York Shaker, the project was on.

Finding the engine was one thing, The aluminum front, was was a whole nother matter. But as luck would have it, I wound up with 3 aluminum hoods. The one currently on the Shaker is one made by Sherman Industries during the restoration of the Jack May car. The other hood was off the Don Eberhart Z-11. The third hood remained a mystery until last week. As most folks know, these aluminum body components have been switched over the years and damn few remain with the original car as shipped from GM.

That being said, while sanding the front bumper to grill filler, it was discovered that Monaco Blue was under the now painted white aluminum filler. So I had a 20% chance it was on the Shaker! That was going to be my story, anyway!!...........A year goes by and I started asking questions about lineage of the Z-11 aluminum I wound up with. I managed to track down the the previous owners (some of them) and found out that the bumper / grill filler AND the hood came off the "RARE BEAR" which was painted white. The BEAR was the NEW YORK SHAKER previously!!! I may not have the timeline down, but I'll nail it soon enough.

The hood bears the scars of its' racing past. The center section where the god awful hood scoop was on the Shaker has been replaced with a section of another Z-11 Hood. Part of the bracing has been replaced too with original material. All four corners have aluminum patch panels in place from the hood tie downs during its' match racing career. During a conversation with a friend, he casually told me of a Z-11 hood and filler that he once had. He explained to me in detail the repairs on the hood and the car that is was originally on before he wound up with it. He had no idea I owned the hood he was describing!....AND he did not know I purchased the front end he sold a long time ago from the gentleman he sold it to!

So...................long story short.............my filler panel is indeed off the New York Shaker, the hood is in my man cave is also off the original Shaker. Together again after 57 years.................CONFIRMED!!!
IMG_2983.jpgIMG_2985.jpgIMG_2984.jpg

IMG_2986.jpgIMG_2988.jpgIMG_2987.jpg

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That is just cool.
I get this wagon family friendly and I might be tempted to switch to my 2dr hard top and get going on a "Bad News II" Clone. My 2dr sedan is lighter but nothing spells bad ass in the 63' chevys as a Z11. Plus my 63' was the first car I bought 27 years ago so she deserves to spend more time on the road. Thinking a Fiber glass front clip would do her justice.

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I believe there’s been some confusion here. The “Rare Bear” is the ex-Allen Green Z11 out of Seattle and the NY Shaker became known as “So Rare” and was lettered as such with huge letters down the side.
You are correct. I was going from my short memory. I have been going thru my images and notes since I posted this. Thank you for the correction. !!:hide

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
"After I got out of the army in early 72, the Rare Bear Z-11 was for sale in the back pages of Hot Rod Magazine for something like $2850. I wanted to go get it , but at that point in my life I didn't have a extra 10 cents. " I remember when I was in high school, college early 70s 60s Vettes selling for $1700-but did not have that. I did have the $450 my 340 HP 409 64 Impala SS cost.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Life's a bitch when your young!!!!!!!! You just don't have the money for your play things@!!!!!!
Financed my 63 400HP Impala with Citizens National Bank 'cause my stepfather knew the banker. Total price was $1350 and my black 58 Impala hardtop 348 3-speed for trade-in!!!! Believe payments were $77.85!!!!

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
"After I got out of the army in early 72, the Rare Bear Z-11 was for sale in the back pages of Hot Rod Magazine for something like $2850. I wanted to go get it , but at that point in my life I didn't have a extra 10 cents. " I remember when I was in high school, college early 70s 60s Vettes selling for $1700-but did not have that. I did have the $450 my 340 HP 409 64 Impala SS cost.
I bought my 67 Corvette in July 73 and still have it today. I paid $2400 dollars for it exactly the way you see it and it also came with the hardtop.

Attachments

• IMG_1003.jpg
    IMG_1003.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 34

Jayz63

Well Known Member
Not sure if I’m reading it right but the ad just above the z11 shows possibly of a jerry Jones phone number in Texas. What are the chances of that was well.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
After I got out of the army in early 72, the Rare Bear Z-11 was for sale in the back pages of Hot Rod Magazine for something like $2850. I wanted to go get it , but at that point in my life I didn't have a extra 10 cents.View attachment 79991

I haven't seen the term "427 Angle Block" used before. logic says to not get the "W" mixed up with the Mystery or MKIV.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
My best friend in high school bought a project 64 Vette we put a wrecking yard 327 in it. Had weird 2 piece headers that came with the car. Swapped it and his 70 6 cylinder Challenger for an L88 67 rag top. It could even run even with my 409. He was supposed to sell it and give his dad the money for the new car his dad had bought him-a 73 Z28. He farted around and his dad said we are taking it to the dealership now as a trade in. They only gave them $700! But being a really poor college kid I did not even have that.