Glass packs

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Back when Ray was talking about changes coming to his 60 ......I thought he was going to install them, along with that Thunderbolt hood scoop......!!!!

427John

Well Known Member
While I love the look of the 60's nascar style thru rocker exhaust outlet that is contour cut to not stick out past the rocker,the wannabe under rocker outlet doesn't do anything for me,when I got my Starliner 20+ years ago that's the first thing I did when I it got was to pull those off and run a full length exhaust.Holman Moody's version of that actually had a tube welded in the frame to allow a straight shot thru the frame thru the rocker.HM1962Chassis-vi.jpg

Last edited:

tenxal

Well Known Member
No offense....I love "glass packs" from the 60's and 70's.....the flow masters do NOTHING for me!!!!!!!

I'm not a Flowmaster man either, Phil.

On the X frames...or anything else where there is room... I like the repro Hemi mufflers (2.50/2.25) and the small Chrysler Imperial resonators. They sound great!

P.S. I'll bet there aren't many that know the '59 348 high perf cars had resonators! ;)

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I'm not a Flowmaster man either, Phil.

On the X frames...or anything else where there is room... I like the repro Hemi mufflers (2.50/2.25) and the small Chrysler Imperial resonators. They sound great!

P.S. I'll bet there aren't many that know the '59 348 high perf cars had resonators! ;)
Al nor many know the 61-62 409 cars with 2 inch exhaust also resonators.
Robert

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I replaced a bunch of resonators when I worked at Midas back in the late 70s, didn't pay as well as a muffler. :weld

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I'm kinds partial to open headers.....:brow

I am in agreement on that but you can go too far. A well respected NASCAR engine builder “Runt” Pittman did header design work on his engines and when his 4 car went by wherever you were it hurt your ears as sounded like a swarm of bees was powering his Chevrolet. As I remember he used those headers only on speedway cars not short tracks.
robert

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Although I think the level has a part in it, I think it has more to do with pitch. I use to say if its too loud, your too old for music, Harley's and Hot Rods. However I put a set of 2-1 straights on a V Rod back in 02 for a customer. I took it out for a 7 mile ride. When I came back, I said to myself your too old. It really had more to do with the pitch or resonance of those pipes. It was loud and piercing. :confused

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Phil exactly on the Harley noise level. I know my Impala with Thrush header glasspacks was quieter and got stopped for loud mufflers comapred to the Harleys I hear now.

My Trans Am and Camaro I have had good luck with Ultraflows, both have an X crossover not quite doable on an X frame.

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is Show Cars the only source now for replacement resonators? ‘Just developed a leak in one of mine. I still show my car on occasion and it’s pretty near stock.