Woodgrain steering wheel

63409impala

Well Known Member
Ok fellas, as the title states, I am looking into getting a nice 2 spoke walnut wheel like from a 66 ss396 chevelle. Would that work on my tilt impala column?

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
The wheel is the same but all the cars had different adaptors to mount to the steering column. That's the hard part to find.
Call Jody Anderson.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I too have often thought of getting one of the wood grain wheels for my 65. Originals are too expensive in my opinion, however I do like them. The cost has definitely been a big part of my decision not to because the money could be better spent on other things like a new top. However the correct adaptor is another.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have 2 of those mounted in 2 of my 65's, the wheel is the easy part to find the hub on the other hand is a pain in the rear to find and repop ones do not work period!!!! I have an extra wheel with a repop hub that I was going to put in my 3rd 65 but it will not work as the horn plunger part is in the wrong spot so it's a door stop now! I refuse to put that crap in my cars.20190914_061132.jpg

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have 2 of those mounted in 2 of my 65's, the wheel is the easy part to find the hub on the other hand is a pain in the rear to find and repop ones do not work period!!!! I have an extra wheel with a repop hub that I was going to put in my 3rd 65 but it will not work as the horn plunger part is in the wrong spot so it's a door stop now! I refuse to put that crap in my cars.View attachment 80471

You can't machine the hub to relocate the horn hole?

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
If you have a 63 column the hub for the wheel will be too small. The 63 column is 4" and the 64 and up is about .25" or more smaller. You'll notice it and it might rub on something.

Ross

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Ok. I only asked because sometimes people market tilt, and other 63 or 64 columns, as being the same for 63 and 64. They will bolt in place of one another but the respective steering wheel had better follow.

I've contemplated doing exactly what you have in mind. The 63 hub size is just the unfortunate downfall. Now, if there's a will there's a way. Maybe the OD of the hub could be built-up somehow? If you opt for a repro hub maybe altering it wouldn't be so bad.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
A 63 tilt column is a BIG deal. I'm also guessing it has the cut out for the tach and is for a floor shift. Probably THE rarest steering column for a big Chevy from the 60s.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I had one a couple years ago that I sold for $1500. Complete but needed a little work. Probably should have kept it but neither of my cars have PS. Easy enough to add PS, I guess...but I needed the funds to help buy my current 63 convertible.