intakes

Stude58

Hello I have a bored and stroked 409 I am getting ready to start. The last big thing needing done is installing the intake my question is the Edelbrock 2x4 that much better than the factory 2x4 manifold?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The Eddie intake is about 25 hp better than the 881,Carl's intake is about 60 according to tests that I've seen.While you'd think that Carl's intake was more top end power ,the amount of low end torque that it allows you to make is nothing short of amazing.I know of a "daily driver"474 that made 558 hp at 5500 and 613 ft.lbs.at 4100.They started the pull at 3000 and it was making a mere 575 ft.lbs.of torque.

Last edited:

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks, James We ran one like that a long time ago with a 750 dp Holley. I had someone make me a sheetmetal single carb top like the one that Carl has today for his intake. I sold it to Jack Gibbs and ordered a Hogan.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Carl thought his was better than a Hogan, but then again he ain't selling Hogan intakes. ;)
I have a pair of 660 center squirt Holley's I would like to try if and when we get back to racing.
I also have a pair of 750 center squirt Holley's and a pair of Carter 4760S & 4762S to play with. :)

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Yes but if vacuum secondary the dashpots for the vacuum have ot be removed then the linkage swapped out to 660 style or "pin" the secondaries to open the same as the primaries-what I did back in the day. The potnetial down side to that is tghe 660s have qa "center squirter" for the accellerator pump to squirt in all 4 but the others just primaries. But since they are sideways there is a set of primaries in each bank.

I always wondered if you could make a new top to slide the carbs to go end to end and taper it into the intakes plenum . Guy I bought a motor from in the 70s had a top he made that took 6 2bbls that bolted to a dual quad.

Ryan VanDillen

Hey guys I have a question on this Mcquillan intake. I just purchased a new set of 4150 Holleys. I set the rear carb up on the intake and immediately ran into a problem. The secondary throttle shaft hits the distributor cap in my application. I didnt have any carb spacers so I used some threaded rod and nuts to make a makeshift spacer for mockup. But I almost have to have 2 1/2 inch of spacer before it would clear! Surely someone has run into this or has a idea for a solution.