Got my ported 333's back from my cylinder head guy

427John

Well Known Member
These are the heads that I did the DIY porting job on, had my cylinder head guy install the 2.19/172 valves and open the throats for the larger valves and rough in the seats,then I took them back did the porting ,mostly did some work in the bowls,opened up the pushrod pinch in the intake port,gasket match and general casting cleanup,then gave them back to him to finish the seats,install screw in studs,mill and reassemble them with the comp rotator eliminators, crower springs& retainers.He did have a little trouble with the comp rotator eliminators with some inconsistent ID's,he said they're quality control has left a little to be desired lately,normally they're good but lately he's seeing more inconsistency,probably wouldn't have been an issue except I asked him to leave the guide OD as large as possible.I'm really happy with how they turned out,but the proof will be in the pudding.I'll try to get some pics posted as soon as I can get some.

427John

Well Known Member
That will be interesting to see how well they perform. I might have missed it, what are the bottom end and top intake going to be?

TomK
4.155"x 4.0" 348 whatever cubes that works out to,undecided on induction still ,have a tripower,and a 340 horse 409 intake,also still undecided on cam but it will have to be .550 or less lift and have been unsuccessful in talking myself into a roller so far.

427John

Well Known Member
I could not believe how much metal had to come out to make the guides bullet shaped especially on the exhaust side,it was surprising how much the original guide shape intruded into the port.I don't kow how much improvement it will make but the eyeball says it should be noticeable. I found out the hard way,that an electric die grinder is not the ideal tool especially when your hands are not those of a surgeon,an air powered one is much better because you can vary the speed of the tool and you can start and stop the tool while inside the port.The electric tool wants to jump around every time you make inadvertent contact no matter how slight and I didn't experience that at all with the air powered tool.I don't know if it is visible in the photo but the intake port in the area of the pushrod is significantly wider than it was originally.

Last edited:

427John

Well Known Member
Thanks guy's.While they're not nearly as nice as yellow wagon's or Tom/Don's I feel certain that they will provide enough improvement to have been worth the effort.Now to just get the rest of the engine finished maybe I'll save my penny's and dime's and get it dyno'd if I can find a place that does it.

427John

Well Known Member
4.155"x 4.0" 348 whatever cubes that works out to,undecided on induction still ,have a tripower,and a 340 horse 409 intake,also still undecided on cam but it will have to be .550 or less lift and have been unsuccessful in talking myself into a roller so far.
Sorry Tom I'm getting ahead of myself the engine I'm building for these heads is going to be another 4.0" stroker based on a 65 348 truck block but I plan on sonic checking this one to see how much overbore I can go with,the .030 over motor is getting another set of unported 333's I had done a while ago and that's the one I'll run the tripower or 340 horse intake on its just gonna be an old farmtruck motor.I'll probably run an edelbrock intake with these heads undecided on whether it will be single or dual quad.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If you're thinking Edelbrock 2x4,you'll have to locate one used.
I'm not giving mine up in my wagon, it has stock 333's with it but a stroke and some head work would be the next step. (unless someone buys the entire set up) The dual quad small port Edelbrock intake is absolutely beautifully engineered. I would almost bet money it flows better than a factory 881. Still can't believe Edelbrock won't make more of them.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have no idea why but every forum I'm on guys want a good dual quad for small ports and you can only find used Wiend, Offy or Edelbrocks. I have them all and my Edelbrock is a piece of art compared to the others. Sold the Offy recently to a buddy out in Nebraska.

425/409ER

Well Known Member

427John

Well Known Member
Looks good. If I ever do my 333's I am going to weld the hole between the ports shut then open that area at the top of the port. I still and have always believed that it's a restriction. Anyone ever done this and flow tested before and after?
I ran across a thread about just that on this forum awhile back,if I remember correctly they came to the conclusion that it wasn't that much of a restriction,I can't remember what their reasoning was though.If you use the search you can probably find the thread,I think they referred to it as the dogleg or something like that.