1960 Impala,Tri-power 348-4 speed Validation of Current Configuration

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So I am theoretically the owner of this car in question and know it is an original Los Angeles build V8 car in the factory color and trim.
What would you expect to see that would either prove or disprove the cars drive train configuration is what it had at birth? However this turns out or which direction this points, will not effect the purchase. The car is to nice to pass up and not park in my collection.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The drive train info short of having the build sheet for that particular car will only indicate wheather the car left the factory with a 6 or 8 cylinder engine.

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks Don,
I see some disambiguation of my original question in the rear axle ID numbers, but is this accurate?
Next question then, can the line set ticket or build sheet be purchased anywhere?

Last edited:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Without doc's you pretty much can't prove it is but little incorrect things like having a sbc fan shroud are good indicators that it isn't original
there are other little things but without pics no one can pick it apart

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Without doc's you pretty much can't prove it is but little incorrect things like having a sbc fan shroud are good indicators that it isn't original

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I only offer this for a comparison. This seller does not say this car is original. The 2 fan shrouds look different. I do not know which/what is correct but others will. This one might be the incorrect small block00g0gGGGG.jpg

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
After some looking around at other 348 car fan shrouds, mine seems to be missing the out formed radius around the opening rear most edge. It is not however representative of a known 283 shroud. Mostly inconclusive internet information but still information.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The "experts" will be along soon, I'm sure. I wonder if the one in your picture has the end cut off of a small block shroud?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Usually a car with a cut down shroud is unlikely to be original 348 car, let alone 3x2
Hopefully the price is inline with a non original car. Price should be based on current condition and not extra for rarity.

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks for the info. It was not advertised as an original 348. I bought it for the condition. I suspected it was a SB car. I’ll have a look at the axle code when I get it home.