Noise in 62 409 Engine (Motor)

mike s

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Well as i had posted recently under a Great Day Sunday in NY Despite Corona- i had cleaned up the 62 409 and took it out for short ride. Then back out on Tuesday and developed noise from engine(Motor). Finally got to check it out and found a crack in the water pump pulley. All the bolts were tight and took it apart and found the front of the pulley shattered. I put these pulleys and brackets on about 4 years ago and in that time just about driven 350 miles. The back of the pulley has some rust like powder on it which i think would be an indication that something was loose or cracked for awhile and finally shattered. I had purchased everything from Show Cars and even used the 1152a reinforcement shim for the 1152 pulley. I called Show Cars and asked if they were having any problems with their pulleys and none heard of. I asked about the 1152a reinforcement shim if it should be installed on inside of pulley or outside. They advised it should be on outside of pulley but also said they know of people that don't even use it. I had installed the 1152a reinforcement shim on the inside of pulley. So i not sure if this created this problem. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Will post some pictures also. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6507 (1).JPG
    IMG_6507 (1).JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6510 (1).JPG
    IMG_6510 (1).JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6512 (1).JPG
    IMG_6512 (1).JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_6514 (1).JPG
    IMG_6514 (1).JPG
    52 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_6515 (1).JPG
    IMG_6515 (1).JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6517 (3).JPG
    IMG_6517 (3).JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6522 (1).JPG
    IMG_6522 (1).JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

mike s

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Phil its a one piece 2 groove pulley from Show Cars it doesn't separate.

Last edited:

mike s

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
James i just went out and checked that. The fan clutch has the bushing in it and it fits tight on water pump. And it does seat all the way. I wish i could find out more about this reinforcement shim. Thanks for replying and stay safe.

427John

Well Known Member
The reinforcement was intended for the earlier thin center pulleys,later pulleys either came with the reinforcement installed or with a thicker center area where it fits over the water pump hub,it is formed to follow the inner contour of the pulley center,before installing it you need to test fit it to the pulley and verify that it fits flat against the center of the pulley with no wobble,some pulleys were never meant to use the reinforcement and their inner contours don't match,that's why the test fit is critical.

427John

Well Known Member
Mike looking at your pictures,it looks like your pulley may be the later 2 sheave deep groove pulley if so it may be the thick center type not meant for use with the reinforcement,look at the thickness of the metal in the center if it is significantly thicker(almost twice as thick) than the metal the reinforcement is stamped out of then it is for use without a reinforcement.

mike s

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Ok thanks for information. Parts are ordered again from Showcars. Hopefully will be here today. Will have to look at everything when i get them and see what i come up with.
Thank you

Last edited:

El Rat

Well Known Member
Were the bolts tight when you disassembled it?Looks like they might not have been. See one elongated hole.

mike s

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Yes all bolts were tight when it was taken back apart. They had a light coat of lock tite on them when assembled.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Looking at the pictures: The support you used on the inside was creating a ware grove on the inside of your 2 groove pulley. That pushing out while your bolts were pulling it in created stress that created your problem.

427John

Well Known Member
Based on the pictures.Super Stocker pointed out the area's of disturbed and undisturbed paint on the back side where the reinforcement was,this could be evidence of wobble or flexing which would work harden the area in short order.The appearance of the failure is consistent with brittle fracture which also supports Geary's suspicion,or a combination of both.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The 3720616 reinforcement goes between the pulley and the fan (or spacer). It shouldn't fit inside the pulley as evidenced by the tell tale marks shown on yours. Its pretty obvious that the reinforcement was not allowing the pulley to mount flush to the waterpump flange resulting in the flexing and work hardening that caused the cracks.